4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2013 7:03 AM by philmodjunk

Does FM12 correct ALL issues with Send Mail and Mac Outlook 2011

CarlaS

Title

Does FM12 correct ALL issues with Send Mail and Mac Outlook 2011

I have a user who has upgraded to Mac Outlook 2011 and cannot execute Send Mail scripts using FM10.  I researched this a while back and found that there are a few unreliable workarounds for this issue when using FM10.  I also read that this issue was fixed with FM12.  We are getting ready to upgrade to FM12.  I just want to verify that ALL issues with Send Mail and Mac Outlook 2011 have been resolved in FM12.

Let me know.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Does FM12 correct ALL issues with Send Mail and Mac Outlook 2011
          philmodjunk

I suggest downloading a 30 day free trial copy of FM 12 and testing to see if it works for your client.

• 2. Re: Does FM12 correct ALL issues with Send Mail and Mac Outlook 2011
            CarlaS

Thank you Phil for the suggestion.  I will download the demo and test.  Testing will be difficult as we only have a few Mac users and only one of them is using Mac Outlook 2011.  I do not have a Mac and thus don't have Mac Outlook 2001 to use for testing.  I will need to create a copy of the file, convert it to FM12.  Then, I'll need to have the user download a demo and test it on his Mac machine with Mac Outlook 2011.

Is there anything I need to know about changes I may need to make to my Send Mail script?  In another post by DavidAnders, I read that Mac Outlook 2011 has restrictions regarding the values supplied with the Send Mail command.  David wrote,  “The SendMail command must have at least 1 recipient email address, (in the To, CC or BCC fields), a valid subject and a valid message.”  Can anyone define what Mac Outlook 2011 deems as a “valid subject” and a “valid message”?

Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: Does FM12 correct ALL issues with Send Mail and Mac Outlook 2011
              CarlaS

I'm also wondering if there is any Filemaker documentation regarding this issue.  I have a meeting with the client today and they want some assurance that this issue will be resolved with the upgrade.  They will be upgrading to FM Server 12 plus several dozen FM Pro 12 licenses.

Thanks!

• 4. Re: Does FM12 correct ALL issues with Send Mail and Mac Outlook 2011
                philmodjunk

A search of the Known Bugs List database using the keyword "outlook" comes up with three hits, the first of which has a status of "closed" as the issue was fixed with the 11.3 updater. The second is specific to FileMaker GO and the third only refers to FileMaker 11, but since the database only records the version used by the person reporting the issue, this does not indicate that the issue was fixed in version 12. You'll have to test and see for yourself.

Here are the issue reports pulled up from the database:

"Send Mail" and Outlook 2011 MAC Closed

Save as PDF works in local file, hosted, file is created properly but won't attach to email FileMaker GO

Send Mail to Outlook 2011 Paragraph returns in calc not respected

If the problems encountered by your client do not match any of these reports, you may want to report back here to the forum to see if anyone has a way to resolve the issue.

PS. If you are readig this post: The known bugs list manages a list of links to Issue Reports made here in the forum that have been confirmed by TS personnel. It's good at reporting the discovery of a bug, but not good at reporting that such bugs are fixed when a new version/updater that fixes the bug has been released. Want to help improve on that? Use the down load link in this post to get a copy of the DB and grab a few "open" bug reports that do not list FMP 12 and test them. If you find that they work, use a private message to let me know and I'll update the Database and the associated Known Bugs List thread accordingly.