5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2009 9:48 AM by Orlando

doing something wrong, but can't see it

DonorTracker

Title

doing something wrong, but can't see it

Can you help me figure out what I'm doing wrong?  I just can't see it.

I can't get this concatenated text field, name_first_and_last, to show any data:

name_first text
      name_last text indexed
      name_first_and_last text Auto-enter Calculation replaces existing value

Here is the calculation:

name_first & " " &  name_last

Evaluate this calcuation from the context of INCOME
      Current Table ( "INCOME" )
      Do not evaluate if all reference fields are empty is checked

name_first and name_last show up correctly in my layout, but name_first_and_last is empty -- though I can type text into it.

How can I make it automatically populate with the concatenation of the first and last names?  THANKS!

• 1. Re: doing something wrong, but can't see it
          Orlando

Hi DonerTracker

Try making the name_first_and_last field a standard calculation, instead of a text with Auto-enter Calculation. Unless you need to be abel to modify the value without affecting the individual names field.

In Define Database select the field and change the 'Type:' to Calculation and click 'Change'

The Calculation dialog will appear and it may already have your Auto-enter Calculation specified, but you could try this one, as it will no put in any spaces if either name is missing:

Substitute ( List ( name_first ; name_last ) ; "" ; " " )

Now once you go back into Browse Mode the name should be concatenated, but you will not be able to modify it.

I hope this helps.

• 2. Re: doing something wrong, but can't see it
            DonorTracker

Orlando, thanks once again for your detailed, helpful suggestions.

Experimenting, I find that if I create a new record, my concatenated field (as originally designed) populates correctly; it just doesn't work for existing records.

Is there a standard way to deal with that sort of situation with a script/trigger?

(I'm avoiding your suggested solution for now because I would like to be able to manually modify the name_first_and_last field for some records.)

• 3. Re: doing something wrong, but can't see it
              Orlando

You can run a replace on the field to set the value in all previous record with no value, which will initially set the value and then the Auto-enter Calculation will trigger on new records.

First perform a find to isolate all the record with no value in the name_first_and_last field, so in Find Mode place a '=' in the field and 'Perform find'.

To do this click into the field and go 'Records > Replace Field Contents...' now when the dialog appears you want to double check the field it will replace, and then select 'Specify...' next to 'Replace with calculated result:' and input the same calculation your are using for the Auto-enter, you will need to add the table name in with the field name:

INCOME::name_first & " " &  INCOME::name_last 

And then click 'OK' and then 'Replace'

This will then update all the records that are empty. 

• 4. Re: doing something wrong, but can't see it
                DonorTracker
                   Orlando, again many thanks!  That, too, works a treat!
                • 5. Re: doing something wrong, but can't see it
                  Orlando
                     Glad I could help.