2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2009 1:40 PM by lenek

Don't Print Empty Fields

lenek

Title

Don't Print Empty Fields

Thanks for the help so far.  I am really nearly there now! :smileyhappy:

I hope my last question.....

I've been building a database for my husbands patients.  He is going to want to print out 'visit reports' that he can mail to other Doctors.

I need the layouts to include the field labels as otherwise the results don't make any sense

But so that he's not sending out pages of what appear to be empty lists except a couple of results  I'd like to be able to only show field labels and fields on the reports that have data in the fields

I've been trying to figure it out, and the only way I can think of doing this is to practically duplicate every field and have some kind of calculation in it that new duplicated field means the name will show if there is a value

But I'm not sure if I'm heading in the right direction or not

Could anyone give me a push towards where I should be heading?

• 1. Re: Don't Print Empty Fields
          TSGal

lenek:

Thank you for your post.

You are on the right track.  Create a second layout, and replace the field labels with calculation fields.  For example, a second street address field may or may not contain data.  The field may be called "Street 2" and the field label would display "Street 2".  Instead, create a calculation field, "Street2label", with the formula:

If ( IsEmpty ( Street 2 ) ; "" ; "Street 2" )

That is, if the contents of the field are empty, then display nothing.  Otherwise, display "Street 2".

Does that make sense?

Now, you have a decision to make...  Do you want blank space on the form where the "Street 2" fields displays?  Or, do you want the City field (and State and Zip) to slide up and take the place of where the "Street" previously displayed?

If you want the former, you don't have to do anything.

If you want the latter, perform the following steps:

1. Pull down the View menu and select "Layout Mode".

2. Pull down the Edit menu and select "Select All".  This selects all objects on the layout.

3. Pull down the Format menu and select "Set Sliding/Printing..."

4. Check the option "Sliding up based on", and then select the option "All above" or "Only directly above"; depending on your preference.

5. Click "OK", pull down the View menu and select "Preview Mode" to see how this will print out.

Let me know if you need clarification for any of the above steps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Don't Print Empty Fields
            lenek

Hi and thanks!

And thanks for writing out all that explanation.  I'd all but got there but didn't want to go doing that to 50ish fields - if there was infact some hidden little button or script or thing somewhere that I couldn't find that actually just did that

but - as there's not I'll get on with it.

I read the pages on sliding etc in the book - figured this might be where it would come in useful

Thank you.... hopefully - fingers crossed, this is it, I don't think there is anything else left to ask :smileyhappy: