3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2015 7:14 AM by philmodjunk

Down-down list text alignment

PeterPan

Title

Down-down list text alignment

Have drop-down lists always aligned text to the bottom?  I cannot seem to change the text alignment for my drop-down fields even when I select multiple options.  Happens in multiple browsers.  Only way to change the alignment is to change it to an edit box.  Anyway around this or do I have a setting wrong?

Thanks for the help!

• 1. Re: Down-down list text alignment
          philmodjunk

Not sure that I understand what exactly your issue is. And selecting multiple values from the same drop down list, while possible, is not a method for selecting values that I consider a good practice. Only a single value is usually visible in the field once you exit and this can mislead users as to what values were actually selected.

A check box format is a better option and it's possible to set up a system of "check boxes" where a scroll bar is used to handle cases where the number of values to choose from varies too much to use a static sized field to list the values.

• 2. Re: Down-down list text alignment
            PeterPan

Hello Phil,

Thanks for the great support you always provide.

Let me explain my issue more thoroughly:

I have a drop-down list field where a user will select 1 answer.  In Filemaker,  after the user selection is made, it will align at the top, as I have selected in the appearance tab.  However, when I use the solution in Internet Explorer, the values get aligned in the middle (height-wise).

I have even removed the padding but the field continues to center the text height-wise.

Thanks for the help!!!!

• 3. Re: Down-down list text alignment
              philmodjunk

If you are viewing this in Internet Explorer, you are publishing to the web, probably Web Direct, but could be Instant Web Publishing with an older version of FileMaker or even a custom web publishing method.

Which method are you using?

What problem does vertically centering the text solve for you?

In Web Direct there are a number of display formatting limitations not encountered when just using FileMaker. This is probably one of those and you'll need to either live with it for the moment or use a different design such as I suggested previously.

"Adventures in FileMaking #2 - Enhanced Value Selection", is a demo file that explores many options for selecting values for a list that start with simple value lists and move on to methods that do not use a value list at all but offer a more user friendly experience for the user--including setting up what looks like a check box field with a scroll bar for scrolling through more values than will fit in the layout space provided.