4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2013 9:26 PM by mcbrady

Drag a page from a PDF into a container field

mcbrady

Title

Drag a page from a PDF into a container field

Is this possible in any way in FM12?  When I try to do it from a PDF in Preview, it just inserts some blank rtf file rather than the text from the pdf,  the pdf file, or preferably the page I was trying to drag.  The page highlights, looks as if its dragging out, the green plus sign appears over the container field...but no joy.  Sure would make the sorting and indexing of pages in a .pdf a quick and flexible task.  

Any hints/ideas?

• 1. Re: Drag a page from a PDF into a container field
          philmodjunk

See what happens if you drag and drop into a text field. I suspect that you are dragging the text from the page rather than creating a new PDF document of just the current page.

• 2. Re: Drag a page from a PDF into a container field
            mcbrady

Phil,

Thanks for the response, yup, it looks like thats what it is doing...which is not the desired effect.  Any ideas on how I might pull a whole page image out into a container field?  What I've got is say a stack of 15 work ticket pages scanned into a single 15 page pdf.  When trying to associate each work ticket image with the data record it pertains to, it would be great if I could open the pdf on one side of the screen, and as I'm browsing and editing each correlating Filemaker record be able to scroll through the pdf and drag the one appropriate page of the 15 into the FM container.

There's no text data in the pdf, just a black and white image the equivalent of a fax image.  Would be a great workflow, otherwise I'd be stuck scanning into 15 individual pdf files, taking the time to name each one or browse each one and manually attach it to the record it belongs to.

Any ideas are welcome.  Thanks!

• 3. Re: Drag a page from a PDF into a container field
              philmodjunk

I do not know of any way to do this from within FileMaker. There might be a plug in that can do this..

If you are scanning this data into PDF's I would scan them as individual files in the first place. These individual PDF's can then be Imported in a single batch import using Import Records | Folder.

• 4. Re: Drag a page from a PDF into a container field
                mcbrady

Alright, problem solved.  Oddly enough...there was no problem.

Preview allows single pages of a multipage PDF to be dragged and dropped onto either the desktop or directly into an FM12 container, works like a charm.  The only trick that was hanging me up was the mode of viewing the PDF in Preview.  In the top left, the View Menu allows you to switch from 'Content Only' to 'Thumbnails'.  After switching to Thumbnails you can drag the thumbnail itself out of Preview to the Desktop or a container field no problem. Otherwise you get the previously discussed error of it trying to drag the text.

Hate when it takes me 2 days to find the easy answer :)