4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2011 9:33 AM by philmodjunk

Drag and drop files / database HELP!

AlexCorriveau

Title

Drag and drop files / database HELP!

Hi folks,

i was searching on the web a way to create a database only by dragging files into a specific field on FM. Cause right now i have to enter one by one several files names in a database, so i was hoping that there is a quicker way to do so. I was thinking about dragging all my files into a specific FM field which would recognize all my files names and add them to a field. I don't need to have access to those files.. only add names into a database. Am i utopian ?

Thank in advance all !:)

Alex

• 1. Re: Drag and drop files / database HELP!
          Sorbsbuster

Have you looked at 'Importing a folder of files all at once' in Help?

• 2. Re: Drag and drop files / database HELP!
            FentonJones

I wrote a longer post, but the (dumb) forum engine lost it (as I was not "signed in"). Shortly. To get a list of files via drag-n-drop you can use the Troi File plug-in. It's the only one I've heard can do this. 

Otherwise, on a Mac you could use an AppleScript drag-aware applet. But that is external to FileMaker, so would only work for the current record (visible). You cannot put a functional AppleScript applet file within FileMaker itself. You could "list folder" from a button running AppleScript from a FileMaker layout. But that's not "drag-n-drop".

There are other plug-ins which can "list folder" of files. MooPlug (free, Windows-only); 360Works' ScriptMaster (free, cross-platform, Java-based).

• 3. Re: Drag and drop files / database HELP!
              AlexCorriveau

Thank you folks.

Yeah i heard about Troi File plug-in.. i might try it this week.. not totally sure how this will works out with our database... but i'll give it a shot.

My only concern is about the plug-in VS the FM version.. we are kinda using an old version of it..

Thank you again  guys. Lemme know if by any chance you find more informations about this subject! 

Enjoy

Alex

• 4. Re: Drag and drop files / database HELP!
                philmodjunk

I wrote a longer post, but the (dumb) forum engine lost it (as I was not "signed in").

There's a known issue long ago reported to the Right Now programmers where this forum may mysteriously sign you out without any warning. If this takes place after you open a thread but before you click the button to post your comment, your comment is lost.

I've been able to avoid this problem by always signing out and back in when I first access the forum.

There's also a known issue that seems to be connected with the spell checker that can lose your comments. I recommend copying your entire post to the clipboard before you try the spell checker so you can paste you comment back into a new Post A Answer box without having to retype.

Both precautions are a nuisance, but much less frustrating than having to retype a long comment.