2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2013 12:48 PM by philmodjunk

Drag and drop files into a container field

bdj

Title

Drag and drop files into a container field

I've developed a database for keeping track of companies, contacts, quotes and orders. Each of these records has an own folder on our server, in which we keep a copy of all correspondence, being incoming and outgoing emails (via Outlook for mac 2011), pdf's, tif's, .docx, etc.

On each record detail view there is a drop down area, where a file can be dropped.  After dropping a file, it is first stored externally in the documents library (container) with an external reference to it.  But also the file is copied and stored in the relevant folder described above, eventually with a new file name using a "export file contents" command.

So far everything is OK.  If I take a .pdf from the desktop, and drag it on the drop zone, everything happens as described above. BUT, if I take an attached .pdf (out of an outlook 2011 for Mac mail) and drag it to the drop zone, is does not work.  The drag movement does not seem to be accepted.

Is this a known issue, or do I overlook something?

Our system:

FM Server 12.0v3 on Mountain Lion Server (latest update)

FM Pro Advanced 12.0v3 + Office for Mac 2011 on Mountain Lion (latest update)

Does anyone observe the same behaviour?  Is there a possible work around?

• 1. Re: Drag and drop files into a container field
          bdj

I have an additional information:

I just found out that if you use Mail.app, it is possible to drag and drop an attached .pdf.  The drag and drop movement is accepted and the file is processed by the filemaker scripts I have written.

But dragging a message in its entirety (.eml) does still not work.  It is the same as with Outlook for Mac 2011, the drag and drop movement is not accepted. If you first drag the email to the desktop, and then to the drop down zone it works...

Cheers

Bernard.

• 2. Re: Drag and drop files into a container field
            philmodjunk

The drag to your desktop will trigger some kind of interaction between the mail app and the OS and the creators of the Mail app probably wrote specific code to support it to produce the file on the desktop. It would seem that this same type of interaction directly between the mail app and FileMaker, on the other hand, is not supported.