8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2009 1:19 PM by philmodjunk

Drag and Drop Names into Fields

craig5005

Title

Drag and Drop Names into Fields

I am not sure if this is possible or not, hence the reason I am asking here.

I want to create a layout that the user can assign people into tents.  example... Joe in Tent 1, Jill in Tent 2 etc.

Right now I have a members table and a tent table.  The member tables have the usual fields, and the tent table has "Tent 1A", "Tent 1B" etc etc representing the possible positions within a tent.  Ultimately, I would like the layout to display a list of found members (find based on Status) and the user to drag and drop their names into the tent position fields, so they can see who is in what tent.  Once they drag and drop someone, their name disappears so they can't be placed in two tents.

If anyone has created something like this, or similar to this, I would be happy to hear your solution.

Thanks

Craig 

• 1. Re: Drag and Drop Names into Fields
          philmodjunk

Drag and drop text is a preference setting in filemaker so you can easily drag text from one field and drop a copy into another.

If you are using FMP 10, you could then complete the process with a script trigger attached to the field that receives the dropped text. Your triggered script could check to see if a person has already been assigned to a tent and such...

• 2. Re: Drag and Drop Names into Fields
            craig5005

Are triggered scripts available in FM 9 pro adv?

• 3. Re: Drag and Drop Names into Fields
              philmodjunk

No, that's a new feature that comes with FMP 10.

The closest to that interface that I can conceive of with FMP 9 and eariler would be a two step process. You'd drag and drop the text, then click a button next to the target field to perform the assignment script.

• 4. Re: Drag and Drop Names into Fields
                craig5005

Alright, I guess what I will do is just place all the tent fields on the layout, and use a value list so they can select who is in which tent.  We don't have that many tents, so the user will be able to see all assignments on one page, so that might not be an issue. 

However, the problem I am having is with the value list now.  I have it pulling from another table (may be the problem) but when I set it to use the "full name" field (calculation combining first and last name fields) it will only display one persons full name.  However, it will show all the members names if I set the value list to only first name, or only last name.  I can make it "also display values from second field" but when the user doesn't have that drop down open, it won't display the second field.

Could this be because "full name" is a calculation field?

• 5. Re: Drag and Drop Names into Fields
                  philmodjunk

"Could this be because "full name" is a calculation field?"

No, I use calculated fields as the source for value lists frequently. I'd check to see if this calculation is a stored, indexed field. (Open the specify calculation box for the field and click storage options...)

• 6. Re: Drag and Drop Names into Fields
                    craig5005

I cannot get it to display properly no matter what I try... indexed, not indexed, the value list pulling its values from the relationship table (Members Tents), or simply from Members table.  I can't think of why this wouldn't work.

Craig 

• 7. Re: Drag and Drop Names into Fields
                      craig5005

I figured it out.

The calculation results were set to number, not text.

In every other use, those calculations worked as being stored as a number.  It only created a problem when trying to use it as a drop down list. 

• 8. Re: Drag and Drop Names into Fields
                        philmodjunk

Check to be sure fullname is defined as follows:

In members table.

FirstName (text)

LastName (text)

FullName, FirstName & " " & LastName, calculation return result is text.

To see if the calculation is set to return text, open it's specify calculation dialog and check the drop down in the bottom left corner. If it's set to return 'number', that could explain what you are seeing.