7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2014 12:18 PM by philmodjunk

Drag and Drop pictures on multiple tabs in a layout??

MartinKim

Title

Drag and Drop pictures on multiple tabs in a layout??

Hello,

I am trying to make a file where it allows the user to upload multiple pictures on the same layout. But I am being stumbled by a few problems, and I hope you guys can help me out!

My first problem: I cannot get the drag and drop method to work as I intend it to do. The drag and drop seems to work because it is enabled through Preference. But I cannot upload multiple pictures on the tab in the layout, and have all the pictures that were uploaded (via drag and drop) to show up, lined up side by side and in a thumbnail/ preview. (I also want the picture to be enlarged when I click on it, and return to original size when I close it)

My second problem: I cannot get the container field of pictures to show up on each of the tabs I created. I want to upload multiple pictures, at the same time uploading to different tabs according to different categories (ex. Abdominal, Chest, Cardiac, etc). 

Thank you for your time!

Martin 

• 1. Re: Drag and Drop pictures on multiple tabs in a layout??
          philmodjunk

But I cannot upload multiple pictures on the tab in the layout, and have all the pictures that were uploaded (via drag and drop) to show up,

Exactly what happens when you try to do this? I am able to drag a file from outside of the FileMaker application and drop it into a container field with no trouble so I need more details on how you have set up your layout and exactly how it fails to work.

I have the same need for a more detailed description of your layout and the table in which you have defined your container field, before I can hope to answer your second question.

• 2. Re: Drag and Drop pictures on multiple tabs in a layout??
            MartinKim

@Phil, 
                 Sorry, I have uploaded the picture now; 
                 in the example of the "Conventional" tab in the layout, I read somewhere and the person said to make the number of repetitions (shown on the left) to be the number of different pictures you want to upload.. I doubt this though. 
                 And the Container "Conventional[2]" does not show up when i try placing it on the tab, so I put it outside the tab (for now..) 

Other pictures that are uploaded are what happens when I try to upload 2 pictures once each time; I want all the pictures uploaded to show up, but only the last picture uploaded is shown, instead of all of them. 

Does this make sense?

Thanks! 

• 5. Re: Drag and Drop pictures on multiple tabs in a layout??
              philmodjunk

It would appear that you are drag and dropping the image file into the same repetition of the same field in the same record and thus the second image replaces the first.

I'm not a big fan of repeating fields as there are almost always better alternatives, but if you define your repeating field to have 6 repetitions. Then you can use the inspectors data tab to show all 6 repetitions either in a vertical column or horizontal row. You should then be able to drag and drop your image files into different repetitions of this repeating field. Once you've used drag and drop to fill all 6 repetitions, you must either replace one image with another or use New Record from the Records menu to create a new record where this field will then have 6 empty repetitions for 6 more images.

PS: I'd use a related table with a portal in place of a repeating field. It gives you more options--including the ability to store more than 6 images associated with any given record on the layout that you show here.

• 6. Re: Drag and Drop pictures on multiple tabs in a layout??
                MartinKim

Thank you for the reply!
                     I would like there to be definitely more than 6, so I am assuming that the alternative method-- using the related table and portal-- is superior. 
                     I made the related tables: Patient:: patient_id = Image:: fk_ID_image; so that there is a unique label for each of the image inserted to the record of that patient. 

For the portal, 1) is there a way to orient the portal scroll horizontally? I want to minimize the length as much as possible, so horizontal would be the best design. 2) I am still not sure how you can allow multiple images to be created into these portals by drag and drop method. 

Thanks again!

• 7. Re: Drag and Drop pictures on multiple tabs in a layout??
                  philmodjunk

I suggest naming the field in Image differently to avoid confusion in the future:

Patient:: patient_id = Image:: fk_patient_id

That helps make it clear that for any one record in Patient, you may have multiple records in Image.

1) No. There are alternative methods that you can use with other layout controls that simulate horizontal scrolling like you might find on a smart phone, but I recommend that you start with vertical orientation until you have a better understanding of how FileMaker works and have the basic setup working for you.

2) In Manage | Database | Relationships, double click the relationship line that links Patient to Image. Select the "allow creation of records via this relationship" option for the Image side of the relationship. Now an extra blank row will appear in your portal. You can drag and drop image files into the container field in this blank "add" row of your portal to create a new record in Image linked to the current patient record with the dropped image file stored in the container field.

And there are modifications of the basic setup that use a button, scripting and a sorted portal so that you can click a button to add a new record at the top of the portal in order to drop an image file into it. This avoids the need to scroll the portal in order to expose the "add" row once you have filled your portal with enough records that such scrolling is needed.