3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2009 5:02 PM by david_lalonde@d-cogit.ca

Dream app for Education Industry

oprativ

Title

Dream app for Education Industry

Hello Everyone,

I'm doing some research for my institution, and I've read in other posts on this forum

that FM Pro supports the iPod Touch (IPT), but those posts didn't go into details...

Is it possible to create a custom form(s) for use on multiple IPTs and then aggregate the data

collected on those IPTs over the web into a FM db(s)? 

Put another way, we'd like to do field evaluations using custom forms on IPTs then send the data

over the web (using WiFi connection) into a FM db where we could run reports on the aggregated data.

Would we need anything other than FM Pro in order to do this, e.g. FM Server? 

Would FM Pro allow us to create the forms and deploy them to the IPTs? 

What FM version would we need? 

Any advice on what would be the best way to proceed would be greatly appreciated, and thank you all

for your patience.

Regards,

Jim de Geus 

• 1. Re: Dream app for Education Industry
          TSGal

oprativ:

Thank you for your post.

Please look at the following article on our web site:

http://www.filemaker.com/products/iphone/php.html

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Dream app for Education Industry
            oprativ

Hi TSGal,

Thank you for your post, 

THIS IS GREAT!  Now I know the recipe for publishing to the web.

I'm just starting out, so this was a big help! 

My question at this point is whether we could create forms

that we could enter information into from the iPod Touch.

We have FM 9 Advanced, and I'm making my way through

David Coffee's "The Missing Manual".  I'm waiting to hear from

our sysadmin whether we've got FM Server or not. 

Thank you once again for taking the time to respond. 

op 

• 3. Re: Dream app for Education Industry
              david_lalonde@d-cogit.ca

Hello Mister de Geus,

There are two methods of inputing the data into FileMaker Pro from iPod Touches.

1. Using Instant WEB Publishing or Custom WEB Publishing

Instant WEB Publishing can work without a server. I suspect that for your needs, however, this option will not work because FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Advanced would limit you to nine users over a 24 hour period. If you use a server, you would need FileMaker Server Advanced, the most expensive form of the server.

Custom WEB Publishing will only work if you have FileMaker Server or FileMaker Server Advanced. That said, there are basic ready made templates just for the iPod Touch.

Both of the WEB options require the iPod Touch to be connected to the WEB. That means Wi-fi must be on, which is a big drain on the battery. This may not be an issue in your application. If it is, or if it is not always possible to be connected to the WEB as you input data, then the next solution is your only other alternative.

2. Using FMTouch

FMTouch is a third party application that can synchronize with FileMaker Pro, FileMaker Pro Advanced, FileMaker Server or FileMaker Server Advanced. It uses a plug-in to synchronize between the two. Synchronization requires a Wi-fi connection. However, once the synchronization is done, FMTouch can go on its merry way because the FMTouch is a standalone application that perform many of the same operations as FileMaker Runtime.

You will likely be hard pressed to find books about FMTouch. You can learn more about FMTouch at the FMTouch WEB Site. There is a developers link that shows a list of developers (of which I am one). Contact me directly if you have more questions.