4 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2012 11:42 AM by tays01s

Drill-down drop down menus

tays01s

Title

Drill-down drop down menus

I deal with hospital patients. I want a quick dd that lists patients and then branches into their 'contacts'. Is it possible to achieve this from a single drop-down?

• 1. Re: Drill-down drop down menus
          philmodjunk

If you have this relationship:

Patients----<Contacts

Patients::PatientID = Contacts::PatientID

or even:

Patients---<Patient_Contact>---contacts

Then, yes, a single drop down of patient IDs and their names can be used to find a patient record and a portal on that layout can list the related contact information. It may not, however, be the best design option for your database depending on the number of records in your Patients table.

• 2. Re: Drill-down drop down menus
            tays01s

I will create the relationship and try this out. However, a question: If I'm trying to keep 'screen functionality' compact for iPhone use, what is likely to be best (I'm v. new to this) if:

- Most people will have <20 current patients (though discharged might be >100).

- Number of 'calculations' per patient will vary from <5 in most to >30 in a few.

Thanks,

Stephen

• 3. Re: Drill-down drop down menus
              philmodjunk

Questions about iPhones and iPads are best asked in the FM GO forum. (See tab at top of this screen.)

What is the relationship between "patients" and "contacts". Is there more than one "contact" for a given patient? (IF not, then no relationship is needed.

• 4. Re: Drill-down drop down menus
                tays01s

Thanks.

Most patients will have >1 contact and a few could have >20.