4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2012 10:34 AM by HeatherL

Drop Down Box Connected to Separate PDFs

HeatherL

Title

Drop Down Box Connected to Separate PDFs

Is there a way to create a drop down box where each value in the value list has a separate PDF that can be assigned to the individual values?

For example, I need to keep copies of all staff immunizations.  Can I choose MMR and have a specific container connected to that specific drop down value but keep each pdf in the same tab?

Screen_shot_2012-10-30_at_10.50.05_AM.png

• 1. Re: Drop Down Box Connected to Separate PDFs
          philmodjunk

Instead of a "specific container" make that a "specific related record" that happens to have the container field storing the PDF.

Then selecting a value from the drop down can select the specific related record so that it's PDF (or other inserted file) is accessible.

What version of FileMaker are you using?

If FileMaker 12, do you want to have interactive access to the PDF file?

This is key to some details in how you set this up, but your basic relationship would be:

Personnel-----<Immunizations

Personnel::__pkPersonnelID = Immunizations::_fkPersonnelID

and then one field in Immunizations provides the values shown in your value list while a container field in Immunizations stores the PDF file.

• 2. Re: Drop Down Box Connected to Separate PDFs
            HeatherL

Yes I have Filemaker 12.  I want staff to be able to delete their old immunizations and insert their new ones.  I have found though, that if it is inserted as a PDF I can't delete it but if I put it in as a jpeg I can.

• 3. Re: Drop Down Box Connected to Separate PDFs
              philmodjunk

With the related records approach, they can delete the entire related immunization record.

Or

Set field [Immunizations::containerfield ; "" ]

Can clear the field to delete the inserted file or file reference.

• 4. Re: Drop Down Box Connected to Separate PDFs
                HeatherL

Thank You!!!