3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2011 12:13 PM by paulgower

Drop down box issue

paulgower

Title

Drop down box issue

Hi , hopefully someone can help me with this i'm new to this program so have been learning it as i go... the problem i have is that i have my main file with a form on it and another with the data in it which comprises of about 40,000 records all in 1 field, all i want to do is create a drop down box on the form which opens up to show the data for selection. I have added the table with the data under relationships and created one with one the field i want for the drop down box. Under inspector the display data from is pointing to the data file, values from is selecting the value which is pointing to the data table all looks ok, however on my form it will not drop down and neither will it let me enter any data into it,  it does nothing , could anyone shed any light as to what i am missing , i'm sure i had this working yesterday !

Thanks

Paul.

• 1. Re: Drop down box issue
          paulgower

I have noticed that under tables it says that my data file has 1 field and zero records even though when i open the file in fm it has over 40k records, this may be why the box does nothing i guess, but surely it should be seeing all the records ?

• 2. Re: Drop down box issue
            philmodjunk

A bit more detail would help. You describe two tables here, so it is very possible that you have 0 records in your new table, but 40K records in the existing data table.

You don't actually need that second table, though you could set up a portal from it to your existing data table if you want to. If you relate the two tables by a field and use the field from your new table for your drop down, selecting different values could bring up different records in your portal.

It's also possible to define a field for your drop down as a global field and use a script trigger to perform a script that uses the value you selected in the drop down to perform a find for all records matching the value you selected.

In either case, its' not a good idea to use an existing data field from your data table for your drop down as selecting a value in it might change the value of that field in one of your existing records.

• 3. Re: Drop down box issue
              paulgower

Ok thanks for the info, i stripped everything out , added it again and it worked this time !