1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 14, 2011 1:56 PM by philmodjunk

Drop Down Field Not Dynamic

Vinny

Title

Drop Down Field Not Dynamic

I have a drop down field with a value list that relates to another table.  The relationships between tables are set up to link the data (I'm an old ms access user).  However, when I edit the child data (via different layout) and go back to the drop down that I made, the value in the drop down does reflect the updates.

I believe I have everything in the background set up correctly, because I can easily do this with a pop-up type field.  My conclusion so far is that I cannot get dynamic value lists with a drop down as I can with a pop up.

For example I have a table "accounts" and a table "customers".  accountid from "accounts" is related to "accountid_fk from "contacts". On my contacts layout, I have a drop down to allow the user to select the account which that contact is related to.  The drop down is set up with a value list called "accounts" which is set up with

[first field] accountid

[second field] account name. (showing only second field)

Now, I can select an accountname from this list, no problem.  BUT, I am having these two issues:

1) If I set the drop down's value list to have two fields, it will display the 2nd field in the drop down, but once a value is selected, it only shows the id (first field)

2) If I set up the drop down field to link to the 2nd field item (ignoring the id field), then it will not update when it's related record is changed (i.e. contact name changed).

In summary, I want to use a drop down list because I like the type ahead type of functionality.  BUT, I think I need to link the drop down list to the first field (id) and the 2nd field (name), while only showing the 2nd field as the selected value.

Any ideas to obtain this functionality would be appreciated.  As of right now, I'm stuck using pop -ups instead without the desired type ahead functionality. 

• 1. Re: Drop Down Field Not Dynamic
          philmodjunk

Stick with 1), with drop down lists, you only see the data entered after you exit the field and its drop down so all that you see in this field will be the Account ID. Now place a readonly copy of the account name field next to this field so that when you select an account ID in the first field, this field displays the name. The alternative, as you've already discovered, is to use a pop up menu. (If your reason for using a drop down is to avoid the "beveled block" look of a pop up, there are ways to format the field to hide that often undesirable 'look'.)

There are at least two layout design tricks that I know of that you can use to hide the ID field and yet still have it function as a drop down list:

1) Use the arrow option with the ID field and then resize it's width until only the arrow is visible. When the user clicks on the arrow, the full two column value list pops out.

2) Place the ID field underneath the name field with a text color that matches the background color. Use the behavior settings in the Inspector to block direct access to the name field. When you click on the read only name field, the Accounit ID field jumps to the front and deploys for the user to select a value.