4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2011 10:35 AM by PaulLawrence

Drop down list - multiple selection

PaulLawrence

Title

Drop down list - multiple selection

Thanks for reading! Perhaps there's a solution?

I have a database that connects a Property table with a People table.

There is a portal in the Property table showing the records from the People table.

I have a foreign key field in the Property table that links to the People table. I have a value list created for this field that shows the primary key of the People table along with a second field of People Names. (I hide the first field and shrink the field on screen so it only shows the dropdown arrow when not selected.)

THE PROBLEMS

When I access the drop down with the arrow, it correctly shows all the records from the People table, and I can select one and go on to the next field.

By adding the COMMAND key (Mac) to the selection, I can select multiple items in the value list (and they will all show in the portal after the record is committed.)

PROBLEM1: The only way I know of to maintain this multiple selection is to hit ENTER or RETURN (twice) after selecting multiple items. Clicking the mouse anywhere else seems to be the equivalent of an ESCAPE.

PROBLEM2: If re-entering this value list with MANY items already selected, it is VERY easy to destroy the selection by clicking anywhere.

Is there a better solution to relating this one-to-many (Properties with many People) relationship?

PROBLEM3: When the value list is dropped down there's a long bar on-screen placed before the actual list. Is this normal activity? Cosmetically is sucks. It seems to be the way FM moves the dropdown list away from the underlying onscreen portal data.

FMPdropdownProblem.jpg

• 1. Re: Drop down list - multiple selection
          philmodjunk

Using a checkbox group for selecting multiple people would make for a simpler interface, but I suspect it wouldn't be flexible enough for you and it would require a lot of space on your screen.

You might consider using a two field approach with a script. Selecting a name or names in a drop down with a script trigger to perform a script that adds the selected ID to a second field--the one actually used for your portal--either as a filter or a key in the relationship. You can add a clear button that clears this field. It may even be possible to set up your value list to dwindle. (Selecting a person removes them from the list so that you can't select them a second time until you clear the field.)

• 2. Re: Drop down list - multiple selection
            bumper

"Is there a better solution to relating this one-to-many (Properties with many People) relationship?"

Yes. use a join table between properties and people. That way you have one record in the join table for each person connected to the property.

PropertyID_pk > PropertyID_fk (Join Table) PeopleID_fk < PeopleID_pk

This way you eliminate the VL problems in Problems 1 & 2.

• 3. Re: Drop down list - multiple selection
              philmodjunk

I think Bumper has the better suggestion here.

• 4. Re: Drop down list - multiple selection
                PaulLawrence

Well, I'm funny! I had originally looked at the Invoicing template that came with FM, but thought that to be overkill!

What I didn't consider at the front end was how important the Property to People link would become in my application.

Bumper and PhilModJunk, I really appreciate both suggestions and will apply both to my database, because I now see a different place to use PhilModJunk's suggestion. It'll be perfect.