1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 12, 2013 7:05 AM by philmodjunk

Drop down list help

ericjlindholm

Title

Drop down list help

I want to create drop down list that will only show values that will only show values created from one list.  example

I have an equipment list (line items table) that has a case name on every line item.  the list sorts by case name.  I want the drop down list to contain case names that I have entered on this list only

• 1. Re: Drop down list help
          philmodjunk

Do want to select a case name and then only list equipment with that case name?

That's known as a conditional value list.

Or do you want a value list of just the case names from this table? That can also be done if you have field for the case name in your table.

Here are some links on conditional value lists:

There's a lot of overlap between the first two links so you can read one and skim the other. The demo file gives you several examples of different conditional value lists so you can examine them to see how they are set up. If you are using FileMaker 12, you can open this demo file from your File menu to get a converted copy of the demo file that you can examine in FileMaker 12.

The last link discusses how to set up a chain of conditional value lists where the value selected in each conditional value list controls the values listed in the next value list.

Forum Tutorial: Custom Value List?

Knowledgebase article: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5833/kw/conditional%20value%20list

Demo File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6qf0z9fnem3uxd/ConditionalValueListDemo.fp7

Hierarchical Conditional Value lists: Conditional Value List Question

Feel free to post follow up questions here if those links aren't enough to get your value lists working correctly.