1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 22, 2013 1:23 PM by philmodjunk

Drop Down list indicates a certain number value in another field

AndrewFrohling

Title

Drop Down list indicates a certain number value in another field

Good afternoon I am new to this and would love some help

I am trying to create a Drop down list field called status. Let's say Part-Time or Full-Time. If I choose "Part-Time" I would like a different field called shirts to have the number 2. If I choose "Full-Time" the shirts field should have the number three ect. I tried a calculation or boolean function but nothing seems to work.

I would appreciate any help in this matter.

Thank you

• 1. Re: Drop Down list indicates a certain number value in another field
          philmodjunk

You can set up the second field as a calculation field that returns the desired value or you can setup a table of related records where the values for the second field are stored in indivdiual records in this second field. Both approaches work and both are the "best" solution in different circumstances.

The calculation field can be set up with the If function if there are only two possible values for the field or it can be a case function if you need to handle 2 or more values:

Case ( Field1 = "Part-Time" ; 2 ;
                             Field1 = "Full-Time" ; 3 ;
                             //add as many boolean expression ; result expression pairs as you need here
                           )