1 Reply Latest reply on May 23, 2014 5:50 AM by philmodjunk

Drop down list issue on Windows

SteveKeiser

Title

Drop down list issue on Windows

I have found an issue with how Windows behaves with drop down lists. On the Mac, I can tab into a drop down list, type a few letters and if the right item is highlighted, hit the enter key and the selected item is entered into the field as expected. I can also select the field with the mouse, scroll through the list and click on the highlighted item and it is entered into the field as expected.

However, in Windows, the only way I can select from the drop down list is to tab into the field, select the correct item by either typing a few letters, or selecting with the mouse, but then I must use the enter key to enter the desired selection into the field. I cannot enter the correct item by clicking on it with the mouse button.

I also noted that the drop down list does not activate on Windows by clicking on it with the mouse. It will only activate by tabbing into it.

If this is a known issue, I have not been able to find it commented upon in this forum. Since my layouts use both popups and drop downs, the Windows users get confused about sometimes being able to select an item with the mouse, and sometimes not being able to. 

Any light on this would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Drop down list issue on Windows
          philmodjunk

Finding any specific post in this forum is very hit or miss. The search tool just doesn't work all that well.

Report an Issue is the established place for reporting possible software bugs.

But...

In this case there are indeed long standing and previously reported differences in the behavior of drop down lists and pop up menus between Mac and Windows platforms. But they are so long standing that they are not even documented in the Known Bugs  List as those reports predate the creation of that community supported resource.

I also noted that the drop down list does not activate on Windows by clicking on it with the mouse. It will only activate by tabbing into it.

I think you've got something else involved producing that particular behavior difference. I use windows here and have numerous drop down lists and pop up menus. Clicking a drop down list will deploy it unless the arrow option is specified in the Inspector and when that option is selected, you can only deploy the list by clicking the arrow (and tabbing into the field no longer deploys the list.)

Note: I'm not a Mac user at this time but, another behavior difference others have noted is that you can tab into a pop up menu to deploy it in windows, but not in Macs.