3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2014 6:44 AM by RobRhodes

Drop Down List out of order

RobRhodes

Title

Drop Down List out of order

Hi,

I'm working with a database that has a field called "Lens Label" which is a drop down list

Where Lens Label is a calculated value:

= Focal Length & " SN#:" & Serial Number

Focal Length and Serial Number are manually entered text

Example: 17mm 25mm 100mm.

Everything is good there, except the drop-down list is out of order, or at least out of an order that I would like.

Instead of arranging them in increasing value, it arranges it alphabetically.

So it would be

17mm SN:####

100mm SN:###

25mm SN:###

Normally, this wouldn't be a huge issue, but it can become confusing when working in the field. I don't really want to add a zero to the Focal Length because the data becomes convoluted.

Is there a simple fix here that I'm missing?

• 1. Re: Drop Down List out of order
          philmodjunk

If the values are being arranged alphabetically, it would seem the data comes from a field of type text. First thing to try would be to change that field's field type to number instead of text.

If that doesn't work out correctly, please describe your value list set up in detail, you may not be able to avoid this order for a value list, but there are alternative value selection methods that do not have this limitation.

• 2. Re: Drop Down List out of order
            philmcgeehan

Could you set the Calculation result as Number?

I think, even though there is text in the result it should treat it as Number when sorting.

• 3. Re: Drop Down List out of order
              RobRhodes

I set the calculation result to be a number.

Set the data formatting to "as entered"

Works beautifully. I knew there was something simple I was missing.

Thanks!!!