1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 11, 2009 9:05 AM by philmodjunk

Drop down list populated from a chosen set of check boxes

trend7

Title

Drop down list populated from a chosen set of check boxes

Hello all,

Good day. I am currently trying to set up a database for my own small business using the Filemaker Pro 10 trial version. If all works well, I will purchase the full-working copy. However, I am facing one problem. Please bear with me if it is a very simple question. I am just a newbie in database design.

My business sells, for example, mainly apparels such as jackets, trousers, shirts, suits etc. However, I have different brands of jackets, trousers, shirts, suits etc. For instance:

Brand A: provides jackets, trousers, shirts

Brand B: provides trousers, shirts, suits

Brand C: provides trousers only

What I have done is to create a Table Occurence of products (i.e., for jackets, trousers, shirts, suits) and another Table Occurence of brands (i.e., for Brand A, B and C). Then I have a Layout for me to key in the Products with ID_Product as the key field. I also have another Layout for me to key in the Brands. However, in this Layout I included a check box set of the Products. For example, after I have keyed in the "Brand A" name, I will select from the same Layout by checking the check box the products (jackets, trousers, shirts, suits) this Brand is related to. 

All is fine until I created a third Layout of Invoice. In this Invoice layout, I need to have two drop-down lists. The first drop-down list will allow me to select the Products, which is either the jackets, trousers, shirts, or suits. And the second drop-down list will allow me to select the Brand associated to the Products I have chosen in the first drop-down list.

I simply can't seem to get it work. Although I have read through some websites about conditional drop-down list, but still it doesn't work and I do not know how will those check boxes affect my second drop-down list.

Or sometimes I will see the error "This action cannot be performed because this field is not modifiable." 

Thank you very much and I hope to hear from your advice soon.

Regards,

Trend7

• 1. Re: Drop down list populated from a chosen set of check boxes
          philmodjunk

Starting from the bottom up in your post, "This action cannot be performed because this field is not modifiable." is a message that appears when you (or a script) attempt to modify a field that is either a calculation field or it's a data field where the prohibit modification checkbox has been selected in its field options. You can also see this if this can't modify field is part of a pair of match fields in a relationship and you are attempting to enter data on a new blank portal row.

I know you've indicated that you've read up on conditional value lists but...

Here's a thread on setting up conditional value lists:

Custom Value List?

Check out option 2. If you still can't get it to work, post back here and we'll walk through it one step at a time.