8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2011 11:27 AM by philmodjunk

Drop Down List Question

HowardChernick

Title

Drop Down List Question

I think that i am missing something that should be easy to do but I can't seem to figure it out.

I have a Layout which contains a Portal. When you select one of the items from this Portal, it displays info about this selected item. Works perfectly.   Now I want to perform some calculations based on the displayed info.  I would like to have a drop down list that will display a list of percentages.  Once you select one of these percentages, it will run its calculations based on that percentage.

I tried using a List Box but it expects the data to be related to the data in my Portal.  It is not related and is independent. It's just a bunch of numbers that I might pick up from another table or hard code into the control.

How do I create a list box of numbers which have nothing to do with the rest of the data on the layout?

thanks!!

• 1. Re: Drop Down List Question
          Kays

howard,

the records you need to show do they have also a field containing pecentages ?,

if yes just filter your portal on --> select::percentage = info::percentage

K|Z

• 2. Re: Drop Down List Question
            HowardChernick

The records do not have a percentage field.  This list of percentages will just be a list of percentages that will worka gainst any selected item. 

Example:

Portal contains:

Person1

Person2

Person3

I select Person2. Data that is associated with Person2 is displayed.

Name

Address

Now, I want to run some caluclations against this person. I would like a list showing differenct percentages.

I select 10. Now I will run a calculation in which I take 10% of Person2 age.

I then might want to choose another percentage to see that result.

The bottom line, this list of percentages should work against any person selected  from my Portal.

thanks.

• 3. Re: Drop Down List Question
              Kays

howard,

as i understood, u need to run the calculation on the records shown throw the select button, right !!

so what you need to do is to set a script that performs the work you need and set it to run on the select button validation.

K|Z

• 4. Re: Drop Down List Question
                philmodjunk

How do I create a list box of numbers which have nothing to do with the rest of the data on the layout?

I assume that you are using a portal to create your "list box". You can relate the two tables with the X operator instead of the = operator. This will match any record in one table to all the records in the other so your portal will list all the values in the table.

Your original question title refers to drop down list. This does not require a relationship if you use that. A value list can be defined to use either custom values--values that you type in when defining the value lists or all values from a field in a table--then you manage the values offered by editing the records in this table.

• 5. Re: Drop Down List Question
                  HowardChernick

I am using a Portal to display my "list box". i want another listbox that has no relationship to any of the data in the Portal.  This second listbox will just contain values like 5,10,15,20 which will never change.  I want the user to be able to choose one of the values from the list to use in their calculations against the original Portal "listbox"

• 6. Re: Drop Down List Question
                    philmodjunk

Then use the X instead of = in the relationship.

• 7. Re: Drop Down List Question
                      HowardChernick

But the second listbox has nothing to do with the first listbox.  When I add the relationship using X, it gives me an occurrence for each record from the first listbox.

Isn't there a way just to create an independent list of values that are not tied to any other list or table?

• 8. Re: Drop Down List Question
                        philmodjunk

Isn't there a way just to create an independent list of values that are not tied to any other list or table?

If you used a value list for a drop down list, or other value list driven option, yes, you can use custom values typed directly into the value list but not for a portal used as a list box. That requires a table of records.

Define a table used just to enter your values. Enter each value in a different record. Use a relationship with the X operator instead of = to link to it.

If you really wanted to, you could define a calculation field that used the valueListItems function to list all the values in the custom value list in a single field, but then it is more difficult to set up so that clicking a value selects it than using the portal so I really don't think that approach is worth the added trouble.