6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2013 7:43 AM by SJ_1

Drop down list to a check box set

SJ_1

Title

Drop down list to a check box set

Very New to this.  Looking to create a dropdown list.  Then based off the selection from the drop downlist create a corresponding set of checkboxes.  Each selection in the drop down list will have a different checkbox set.  Not sure if a protal is used for this or this is a relationship issue or what.  Help is much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Drop down list to a check box set
          philmodjunk

This can be done with a conditional value list, but be careful to size your check box formatted field so that it is large enough to display all checkbox sets for all possible values selected from your drop down.

There's a lot of overlap between the first two links so you can read one and skim the other. The demo file gives you several examples of different conditional value lists so you can examine them to see how they are set up. If you are using FileMaker 12, you can open this demo file from your File menu to get a converted copy of the demo file that you can examine in FileMaker 12.

The last link discusses how to set up a chain of conditional value lists where the value selected in each conditional value list controls the values listed in the next value list.

Forum Tutorial: Custom Value List?

Knowledgebase article: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5833/kw/conditional%20value%20list

Demo File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6qf0z9fnem3uxd/ConditionalValueListDemo.fp7

Hierarchical Conditional Value lists: Conditional Value List Question

Feel free to post follow up questions here if those links aren't enough to get your value lists working correctly.

• 2. Re: Drop down list to a check box set
            SJ_1

Ok, Thanks.

I might have some additional question for you a little later.  Thanks again for the help

• 3. Re: Drop down list to a check box set
              philmodjunk

It's a lot to drop on you all at once, but hang in there. The demo file includes a check boxes example.

• 4. Re: Drop down list to a check box set
                SJ_1

Ok, Im confused....This is what I set up

Tables: Main      Fields: IDpk, Equipment(like to be a Pop-up menu, with different equipment  AC, VAV, AHU ETC...)

Table:  AC     Fields: IDpk, IDfk,

Table Verification  Fields: (for checkboxes) IDpk, Unit secure....etc

Then based off the selection under the equipment(AC, VAV, AHU) a set of tabs opens up with the following headings(Verification, Operation, Testing).  Then under each of these tabs a set of check boxes.  Can this occurr off 1 layout?

Relate Main:IDpk to AC:IDfk  and AC:IDpk to Verification:IDpk     ??????

Not sure if I create tables for each piece of equipment and also one for each verification, operation under each peice of equipment?  That seems very labor intensive???

See attached screen shot.  This is what I'm Attempting to do.....Not sure if you can help out.  Thanks

• 5. Re: Drop down list to a check box set
                  philmodjunk

0do NOT create separate tables for each piece of equipment. That's a road that leads to disastrous frustration in FileMaker systems.

I'm not sure I follow what you want to see here. I'm guessin that you want to replace the multiple checkbox sets with a single set that changes depending on whether you select AC, VAV, etc in a drop down.

You need to make a few changes. Your tables and relationships would be:

EquipmentTypes>----Main-----<Verification

EquipmentTypes::EquipType = Main::EquipType
                       Main::EquipType = Verification::EquipType

EquipmentTypes has at least one field, Equiptype with the values: AC, VAV, VHU but likely stores other data about each type of equipment--at least a name identifying what the acronym means. Verification will have one record for each checkbox value in any of the checkbox sets shown. It needs two tables::EquiptType so that it can match to Main by equipment type and then a text field for the check box set value.

You then define your value list to list values from Verification, include only related values starting from Main. Then you format Main::equipType as a drop down list with values from EquipmentTypes and a second text field defined in Main will use your conditional value list with a check box format.

But keep in mind the caution I posted earlier. The checkbox set will have to be sized large enough to hold the largest set of values your conditional value list might produce. It can't, in browse mode, automatically reset when that much space is not needed. In your example, that would seem to mean that your single check box field would need to be sized to show the number of entries for "Mechanical" even when the "electrical" sub set is displayed.

• 6. Re: Drop down list to a check box set
                    SJ_1

Great.  Thank you again.  I felt I was going down the wrong path.  Thanks