1 Reply Latest reply on May 10, 2011 11:35 AM by philmodjunk

Drop Down List To Copy Items Into Record

BradenDouglass

Title

Drop Down List To Copy Items Into Record

A couple of things everyone, thanks! I am trying to implement a drop down list that lists all the current orders from a customer that is linked to this record. However, the list is ordered from the oldest first, is there a way to overcome this sort issue? As an example if I have a bunch of items in the list (first field) that beguin with a numerical value, I would like the 10 to come before 2.

The second issue is scripting something up that will copy all values from one record (change only 2) into another without a strait duplication? I have gotten this working however it is a little odd and I was wondering what your best practices would be? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Drop Down List To Copy Items Into Record
          philmodjunk

Unfortunately, value lists in FileMaker that list values from a table are "hardwired" to the order in the field's index and this will be ascending order in every case. There are calculation fields that some folks have played around with that produce a series of spaces where the number of spaces dictates the order. This is then used as an invisible second column in the value list (invisible due to using spaces) and you specify that the values be sorted on this column. It's clunky and limited to fairly short value lists. It also limits you to a single visible column of values as the second gets used to control the order.

If you really want the list in descending order, you may need to use a portal of values where you click a row in the portal to select your value. The portal can then be sorted in descending order where the value list based on the same table cannot be.

Feel free to let me know if you want a detaile description of either method. They both have their drawbacks.

Don't think there is a "best practice" for your second question, just different approaches that each have their strengths and weaknesses. The "best practice" is then determined by the needs of the project and the preferences of the developer.

I'd be inclined to duplicate the records and then update each newly created duplicate with any changes specific to that record as this reduces the data you may need to move from the original to the "near duplicate", but that's only one of several approaches you can use here.