3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2015 1:06 PM by philmodjunk

Drop down lists

JimPalmer

Title

Drop down lists

New to FMP.  Having trouble equating what I'm familiar with and how FMP handles drop down lists.

I have a list that can only be edited by certain individuals (an administrator).

Can I use a table to be the source of a drop down list and set privileges on the table so only certain individuals can edit the values in the list?

Jim P.

• 1. Re: Drop down lists
          philmodjunk

Yes. What part of that do you need help with. The "use values from field" value list option can list values from a field. A privilege set can be defined in manage security and specified for user accounts that permits or prevents edit privileges for a given table, a given field or just specific records of that table.

For more on FileMaker Value lists and some useful alternatives, you might check out the Adventures in FileMaking series. Adventures 1 and 2. They are free to download.

Adventures in FileMaking #1 - Conditional Value Lists (includes details on how to set up a basic field based value list)
          Adventures in FileMaking #2 - Enhanced Value Selection (what to do when a simple value list won't cut it.)

Caulkins Consulting, Home of Adventures In FileMaking

• 2. Re: Drop down lists
            JimPalmer

I guess what I'm looking for is an example.

Lets say that I have a CodeValue table like:

ListName, CodeName, ValueName

Hair, BLK, Black

Hair, BLN, Blonde

Eye, BLU, Blue

Eye, BRN, Brown

Can I create a table in FMP, associate a field with a drop down list using the ListName as a "hard-coded" filter?

The CodeValue table can only be maintained by one with the appropriate privilege and the table is used all over the application for different code/value pairs.

Kinda old school, but it's what I've got to work with and would like to try to keep the basic functionality for the user experience the same....if I can

• 3. Re: Drop down lists
              philmodjunk

I provided you two download links to two different demo files. They contain working examples of many different value lists as well as other alternative approaches. Each comes with a detailed description of how they are set up and how they work. Yes, they can be used "all over the application".

I think you want to use this as what we call a conditional value list where one use of the value list provides you with each of the codes for hair color and another use of the value list provides you with the codes for eye color. The first demo file demonstrates 10 different ways to set up a conditional value list, two of those methods are "hardwired", they designer specifies the value subset to be listed. The other examples allow the user to select a category in one field in order to control the list of values in the value list of another. Best guess is that one of the "hardwired" examples will work for you.