4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2014 12:43 AM by sherab4

Drop down lists relating to other drop down lists

sherab4

Title

Drop down lists relating to other drop down lists

I have two fields next to each other. I want to be able to select from a drop down list on the first field, and force the second field to provide a drop down list that relates to the first field. I do have drop down lists for the first and second fields in another separate file, would it be better to have these in the file thatI am working on.

Also is this possible.

• 1. Re: Drop down lists relating to other drop down lists
          philmodjunk

If by "relates to" you mean that the values listed in field 2 are limited to only those appropriate for the value selected in field 1, you are describing a conditional value list. I have a large set of links that you can pick and choose from in order to learn more about how to set them up:

There's a lot of overlap between the first two links so you can read one and skim the other. The demo file gives you several examples of different conditional value lists so you can examine them to see how they are set up. If you are using FileMaker 12 or later, you can open this demo file from your File menu to get a converted copy of the demo file that you can examine in your version of FileMaker.

The next to last link discusses how to set up a chain of conditional value lists where the value selected in each conditional value list controls the values listed in the next value list and the very last link is a fairly new addition that describes how to use ExecuteSQL to produce conditional value lists that aren't easily possible with the other methods described here.

Forum Tutorial: Custom Value List?

Knowledgebase article: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5833/kw/conditional%20value%20list

Demo File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6qf0z9fnem3uxd/ConditionalValueListDemo.fp7

Hierarchical Conditional Value lists: Conditional Value List Question

Using ExecuteSQL to produce a conditional value list: Using ExecuteSQL to Produce a Conditional Value List

Feel free to post follow up questions here if those links aren't enough to get your value lists working correctly.

• 2. Re: Drop down lists relating to other drop down lists
            sherab4

Thanks Phil, but a bit confusing for a beginner like me.

Is it possible to do this in Conditional formatting from the second field. In the first field I have four values for types of courses available to select from, that is Discovering Buddhism, Basic Program, Masters Program and Anger Management. The second field for Discovering Buddhism I would need a drop down list showing the topics for Discovering Buddhism, I do have these as a value list, as with each type of course. Is there a formula I can use to bring in the correct drop down list when I select Discovering Buddhism from the first field. 

I know you sent me a lot of info but I am not sure which one is relevant. I am good and following formulas and working out how do do something from this, if it is possible to give ma an example.

• 3. Re: Drop down lists relating to other drop down lists
              philmodjunk

This cannot be done through conditional formatting.

All the links are relevant, but I'd start with either the first or second link and read it carefully. If you select the forum tutorial, ignore Option 1 as it won't be practical for this situation and concentrate on Option 2. (The knowledge base article only describes the "Option 2" method.)

Then, you can download and examine the demo file if you need to see actual conditional value lists so that you can open up manage | Value Lists, Manage | Database | Relationships and go to the different layouts and look at the data in the different tables to see working examples of how these are set up.

You don't need to look at the other threads unless you become interested in learning how to take these methods into more complex scenarios than what you have described here.

• 4. Re: Drop down lists relating to other drop down lists
                sherab4

AWESOME Phil, thanks heaps again. I didn't use all the documentation, just followed the Demo file. I will definitely be keeping this for future reference.