4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2013 9:34 PM by MaxwellRobin

Drop down menu creating a list

MaxwellRobin

Title

Drop down menu creating a list

Hi All!

I have a drop down menu, which contains values from a field in another table

Everything works great when I select one value

What I would like is to be able to select multiple values from the drop down list and have them put in a field separated by a "+"

If the field already contains the value it should simply delete that value from the field

If there is only one value in the field there should be no "+"

Does this make sense?

Thanks!

Maxwell

• 1. Re: Drop down menu creating a list
          philmodjunk

What I would like is to be able to select multiple values from the drop down list and have them put in a field separated by a "+"

If the field already contains the value it should simply delete that value from the field

That seems a contradiction. What difference in user action distinguishes between selecting a value and having it replace an existing value instead of appending it to the field with a + character as the separator?

Why use + as a separator?

For what it's worth, you can hold down either shift or control keys while selecting values from a value list to select multiple values from a list, but the values will be separated by returns, not the + character.

• 2. Re: Drop down menu creating a list
            MaxwellRobin

I would like them to be separated by the "+" character in the end.

The drop down list will most likely have values like this:

"R132"

"L201"

"L202"

"G850"

I would like to be able to have multiple selections so the field will look like this:

"R132+L201"

I guess having them select a number that is already in the field to delete it is a contradiction and probably isnt a good decision

Does that help at all?

• 3. Re: Drop down menu creating a list
              philmodjunk

You can set up this auto-enter calculation in field options and the multiply selected values will be separated by + instead of returns:

Substitute ( self ; ¶ ; "+" )

and clear the "do not replace existing value..." check box.

• 4. Re: Drop down menu creating a list
                MaxwellRobin

that did it! thanks!

Maxwell