3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2008 5:53 AM by davidhead

Drop down menu on layouts

Lawrence2

Title

Drop down menu on layouts

Hello, I would like to create a drop down menu on my layouts. I've tried several things, but none really work like a real drop down menu you'd find on a web page. That is, you click on a menu button and a drop down list appears so you can clcik on one of the values. Something like a "Reports" menu button that when clicked, a list of various reports drops down so you can click on one to run the report. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Drop down menu on layouts
          TSGal

Lawrence:

Thank you for your post.

This can be easily accomplished by the following steps:

1. Pull down the File menu and select "Manage > Database" ("Define > Database" prior to version 9).

2. Create a field "DropDown" of type Text.

3. Click on "Options", and a new dialog box appears.  Click on the "Validation" tab.

4. Check the option "Member of value list:" and to the right of that is a pop-up list.  Select the pop-up value "Manage Value Lists..."  Another new dialog box appears.

5. Click "New" and another dialog box appears entitled "Edit Value List".  Change the name from "New Value List" to "DropDown Value List".

6. Leave the radio button active for "Use custom values".  Below that, enter the following, separating each value with a carriage return:

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

Option 4

(Note: We can always change this later)

7. Click OK to leave this dialog box.

8. Click OK to leave the "Manage Value Lists" dialog box.

9. Click OK to leave the "Options for field "DropDown"".

10. Click OK to leave "Manage Database".

11. The field "DropDown" will now appear at the bottom of the layout.

12. Pull down the View menu and select "Layout Mode"

13. Click on the field "DropDown", and you will see handles on the four corners of the field.

14. Pull down the Format menu and select "Field/Control > Setup..."  A new dialog box appears.

15. On the left side, there is a pop-up option for "Display as:"   Select either "Drop Down List" (drop down list) or "Pop-up List" (select a static choice from a pop-up list) depending on what works best for you.  (You can try both of them out.  Go back and start at steps 12 for the other option when you finish)

16. Click OK to leave "Field/Control Setup" dialog box.

17. Pull down the View menu and select "Browse Mode".

Let me know if you run into any difficulties, or if you need clarification for any of the steps above.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Drop down menu on layouts
            Lawrence2

Thanks TSGal,

As a follow-up question, let's say selecting "Option 1" is meant to run a particular report. How does selecting it cause the report to be run? I think to work, after selecting an option from the drop down list, a script would need to be executed. 

• 3. Re: Drop down menu on layouts
              davidhead
                 To do this, you need to be able to trigger a script to run when the field value is changed. You can do this with a plug-in like ZippScript. Just Google to find it.