14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2012 11:56 AM by schamblee

Drop down menus

tays01s

Title

Drop down menus

I've set up a menu but when I try to change the choice an error 'Field not modfiable' occurs. What are the causes of this?

• 1. Re: Drop down menus
          Sorbsbuster

Is the field a Calculation?

• 2. Re: Drop down menus
            tays01s

Yes:

- Calc: Last name&"_"&First name

- Calc result: text

- Storage options: Indexing > All

• 3. Re: Drop down menus
              Sorbsbuster

You can't change the contents of a calculation field - it is fixed as the result of the calculation.

• 4. Re: Drop down menus
                schamblee

I assume you are trying to create a popup menu base on names.  Base your popup on a field such PopupSelection. Create your calculation field FullName with your calculation as stated Last name &"_" & First name.  Select the PopupSelection Field, Change from edit box to popup menu then  select use values from and select the table with names  and then select the fullname field.  Your selection is stored in the field PopupSelection. 

• 5. Re: Drop down menus
                  tays01s

Done. 2 Qs:

1. This is an ID field with only a 2nd field showing and using the 2nd field as the dd list. However, the name of a new person only appears in the list if I for the first time type their ID number into the field. Can this be done automatically?

2. Though the names appear when I activate the dd, only the ID number shows when inactive. Can I make it a name all the time?

• 6. Re: Drop down menus
                    JimMac

I ususally bring to that layout with the selected ID... the Whole name from the its TO.  I make it non modifable so the user see the ID and Name adjacent.  Easy to read, yet you get the key ID from the Popup menu.  I also put the ID in the list, the user will use the name and care less about the ID.

Jim...

• 7. Re: Drop down menus
                      tays01s

1. If you mean overlay the ID dd with the name field, yes that works, showing the name. However, you have to click on the underlying ID field to use the dd. Is there a way of have the dd work with the name showing?

2. More important can I get new names to be automatically included into the dd list without having to enter the ID on first use?

• 8. Re: Drop down menus
                        schamblee

Ususally the id number is an auto enter serial number.  The Popup menu and DropDown List are very similar so you can use either.  You have to do a little more steps to have a drop list to display name instead of just the id number.

Here is a sample of a popup menu and a dropdrow list that assigns the idnumber to the second table.  FM 12

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D9559058_790_735526410

• 9. Re: Drop down menus
                          tays01s

Thanks. So it is as I described at 3.44, you have to overlay the name field on top of the ID, for a dd to show name rather than ID number. The disadvantage compared to pop-up it that the dd only activates when you click on the portion of the ID field that you have left poking out from underneath the name field.

• 10. Re: Drop down menus
                            tays01s

PS. What about:

2. More important can I get new names to be automatically included into the dd list without having to enter the ID on first use?

• 11. Re: Drop down menus
                              philmodjunk

The disadvantage compared to pop-up it that the dd only activates when you click on the portion of the ID field that you have left poking out from underneath the name field.

If you use behavior settings to prevent field entry when in Browse mode for you name field, it can completely cover the dd field and yet it will still deploy when you click on the name field. The mouse click will "drill through" the field on top.

• 12. Re: Drop down menus
                                schamblee

Look at my example.  The Id field is automatically filled when you add a new record.   If not you need to change your id field auto entry, select the serial number. 

• 13. Re: Drop down menus
                                  tays01s

1. Preventing field entry to get a drill-down effect is a neat trick!

2. ID field: I'd already got this set to Auto-enter, serial. Mine also had 'don't modify' and was a number. Yours was text; I didn't know you could use text for ID's. But since I've got the Auto/serial set, I'm not sure why the patient list isn't updating automatically.

• 14. Re: Drop down menus
                                    schamblee

I would say this has something to do with you list value. Verify that your list value uses your patient table. (The table with patient names) . Use id number in first field and Fullname in second field and then select included all values.