3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2010 12:00 PM by philmodjunk

drop down menus - link information

tomo_1

Title

drop down menus - link information

I have a table in FM11 that contains participant information details including a unique "person ID". If i choose to have the 'person ID' field as a drop down menu how can i get the other fields to display the related information to this person.  i have tried to make the other fields lookups but can not select the table that this information is stored on.  Do i need to have another related table that has person name and surname with the personal ID?  i would prefer this as an option as this will be easier to select records rather than using the find field in the toolbar.

Thanks for any assistance

Craig

• 1. Re: drop down menus - link information
          philmodjunk

" i have tried to make the other fields lookups but can not select the table that this information is stored on."

Please describe the steps you took that didn't work for you. There's more than one type of "look up" possible here.

Also, Does this data need to be a copy of data from the other table (then updates to the original table won't affect the copy) or should the link be dynamic (changes to the source table automatically update the "looked up" values.)?

• 2. Re: drop down menus - link information
            tomo_1

hi Phil

the information that i am trying to access is in one table that has fields ie person id (which is a four letter code), name, surname, dob, address etc.  The layout is a form view.

i have made the player id field a drop down menu so that i can choose the player that i want to access information for. i just want the other fields to show the information that is relevant to that person without creating a new record. i would rather this than the find in the toolbar as it will require less effort

i have gone into manage database and attempted to make the other fields lookup through the options button.  i have the starting table as the correct one but cannot choose the related table as it is not in the list to select from.  my impression is that it is looking for a related table to draw info from but the information is contained in the table already being used

In regards to your question regarding creating a new copy - i want changes to just update the original one rather than create a new one

• 3. Re: drop down menus - link information
              philmodjunk

If you can't "select the related table" that suggests that your tables aren't related in Manage | Database | Relationships.

If you are just wanting to find data in the other table by selecting from a drop down. Looked up value field options aren't your best choice here. That method physically copies data from a field the other table into a matching field in your current table.

You need to look at how your two tables are related in Manage | Database | Relationships.

Let's say you have a playerID number in your related table. You'd then connect the two tables like this:

YourMainTable::PlayerID = LookupTable::PlayerID

Format PlayerID as a drop down list with two columns. Put the PlayerID numbers from LookupTable in column1 and the Player's name in column 2.

Now place the actual fields (including the player's name)  from LookupTable on the YourMainTable layout.

When you select a player in the drop down, the fields from the related table will display the name and other data fro LookupTable.