3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2009 1:54 PM by etripoli

Drop down menus ability to autopopulate other fields?

Jensen

Title

Drop down menus ability to autopopulate other fields?

How can I create a drop down field that has a relationship with another drop down field?  What I mean by this is when I chose one item from a drop down value list it will automatically populate another field.

I am creating a database for a museum collection and the names of objects are classified in a certain fashion.  So when I go to the drop down field and choose "Negative, Film", I would like the second field to autopopulate based on this choice with, "Communication Artifacts - Documentary Artifact".     

Also for these down down fields, I have noticed that the fields themselves are assigned with what seems an ID number that is quietly found on the right of the field.  When you create a value it automoatically assigns it its own number (something like N19019).  How do I turn this feature on?

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks so much.  

• 1. Re: Drop down menus ability to autopopulate other fields?
          etripoli

For the value lists, something similar discussed Value List or Calculation

For the second part, if the number is unique, it's probably an auto-enter Serial field.

• 2. Re: Drop down menus ability to autopopulate other fields?
            Jensen

Hi,

Thank you for responding.  This bit: 

When defining both value lists, use the 'Use values from field:' option.  For the first value list, 'Use values from first field [New Table:Sport]', 'Include all values'.

For the second value list, 'Use values from first field [New Table: Organization]', 'Include only related values starting from: [First Table]'

Make sure your relationship between [First Table] and [New Table] is by the Sport fields. 

Is a bit over my head,  I will play around and see how it goes.  As for the second part, I figured it was an auto-enter serial field but it lives in the actual value list field name.  Do you know how you can set one up in there?  It basically acts as a counter for all the names you store in a field.  In the database, I am trying to emulate, it does it for both value list fields and edit box fields.  Have any suggestions on how to set that up?

Again, thank you. 

• 3. Re: Drop down menus ability to autopopulate other fields?
              etripoli

'Playing around' usually results in a solution, 9 times out of 10 - if you have the knowledge.  Rest of the time requires advice, and/or more knowledge.

I'm not quite sure I understand the second part - specifically 'it lives in the actual value list field name'.  The unique ID is in the name of the field using a value list?  Or, the value list has a list of names, plus the number of times those names were chosen?  That part is fairly easy, but it involves a self-relationship and a calculation field.