1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 9, 2013 9:52 AM by philmodjunk

Drop down search

ElvieFrey

Title

Drop down search

I have a layout that we use to enter new employees.  In excel we had a dropdown on the first name that you could search by and it would bring up all the information on that person. In Filemaker I tried to replicate this and it always wants to edit the existing record that I am viewing instead of going to the related record that i selected from the dropdown. Any ideas on how to do this?

• 1. Re: Drop down search
          philmodjunk

...and it always wants to edit the existing record that I am viewing instead of going to the related record that i selected from the dropdown.

Related in what way, by what fields?

Use a different field formatted with your drop down. You may want to specify global storage for it.

Option 1: Define a new relationship that matches to this global field. Now you can specify data in the global field and the relationshp will match to the value selected. A portal can list the matching records or Go To Related Record can pull them up in a found set.

Option 2: Use global storage on this newly added field and use a script to perform a find to pull up a found set of records.

See this thread for examples of how global fields can be used in scripts that perform a find: Scripted Find Examples