6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2014 8:30 AM by lijnbach

Drop updated file in runtime folder

lijnbach

Title

Drop updated file in runtime folder

Hello everybody,

I developed a solution for ground schools. I followed the advice of PhilModJunk and have a data separation model. The first 3 schools will start testing the solution. For these schools I generated a run time of the solution. (If everything is working fine, they will buy Filemaker Server).

This is my question; Can I update the file with the lay outs, scripts and value lists etc. and just drop this file back in the runtime folder? Or do I have to create a new runtime after every update?

Thanks in advance,

Hans Lijnbach.

• 1. Re: Drop updated file in runtime folder
          philmodjunk

When you create a runtime solution, copies of your files are "bound" to the runtime application and placed in the solution folder.

If you make a copy of the interface file produced by that process, you can modify it's design and drop it back into the solution folder. But it needs to be the copy created by the runtime process so that it is still "bound" to the runtime application. Since this file will typically not have the standard File Extension, you'll have to either manually change the extension back and forth or use Open from FileMaker's File menu to find and open the file.

• 2. Re: Drop updated file in runtime folder
            lijnbach

O.K. Phil,

In the first place, thanks for your everlasting time and patience.

I understand your reply, so I just make sure that I use the copy with the "bound" information for the updates and drop this file back in the run time directory after updating.

At this moment 3 schools are testing the solution. (They all have a runtime). If everything works fine, they will buy filemaker server. Would there be a problem if I use the "data" files of the run times later under Filemaker Server? I can not test this because until now I don't have Filemaker Server.

Thanks Phil,

Hans Lijnbach

• 3. Re: Drop updated file in runtime folder
              philmodjunk

FileMaker Server can Host runtime files, provided that the clients use FileMaker Pro to open and access the file (Or you could publish to the web). You're describing a typical reason why this is a useful feature of server.

• 4. Re: Drop updated file in runtime folder
                lijnbach

O.K. Phil,

But can I reverse the runtime files in a way the user doesn't need Filemaker Pro? Filemaker Server will be hosted in a ASP environment. The schools will just get acces to the hosted environment. 

Hans

• 5. Re: Drop updated file in runtime folder
                  philmodjunk

Runtime solutions cannot network, period.

You either use FileMaker Pro clients or publish to the web and have your users use web browsers to access the file.

• 6. Re: Drop updated file in runtime folder
                    lijnbach

O.K. That is clear.

Thanks for your time and effort Phil.

Hans