3 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2013 8:19 AM by philmodjunk

Drop-down box and image relationship?

AlexanderBeremoti

Title

Drop-down box and image relationship?

Good morning :)

New user io Filemaker Pro since this weekend and after watching turorials online for only 2 hours I was able in a single day to create a simple yet effective database! Awesome program so far! :)

There is something I just can't find though, even after searching through the web and in Filemaker itself. Let me explain how my database works so far: I have 2 layouts created. One is a list with all my clients and when I click on one it brings me to a second layout showing me the selected client info like address, name, etc etc etc. On this layout I also have a button bringing me back to the list so I can browse and select another client (back and forth like that, pretty simple so far).

My problem is that in my client info I have a a drop-down box I'm using for multiple choices and a container next to it with an image in it, and I would like for this image to change depending on what is selected in the drop-down list. Is that even possible?

As an example let's say the drop-down list has ''green', ''yellow'' and ''red'' as choices. Depending of which one is selected the image next to it will either show the green, yellow or red square image that I have on my computer (already saved of course)

I hope I explained it well enough here and any help would be appreciated :)

• 1. Re: Drop-down box and image relationship?
          philmodjunk

Define a new table with one field for the name (red, green, yellow, etc) and a container field for the image. Define a name field in our client info table. Link the two tables in a relationship that uses the two name fields as match fields. Format the client info::pictureName field as a drop down list. Put the container field from the now related table on your layout next to the drop down.

• 2. Re: Drop-down box and image relationship?
            AlexanderBeremoti

I'll be real frank here I only understood the first half of what you wrote, not sure about the second one (starting at ''Format the client info::pictureName'') lol :P

But it's because I don't have the program in front of me right now (currently at the office and Filemaker is only installed at home for now): will take a look tonight and I'm sure I'll find out, thanks a lot for the answer :)

Also if I may ask another question, this time regarding the work space: I recently switched from a 1080p screen to a 27'' which has a native resolution of 2560x1440, so I have A LOT of workspace when working in Filemaker Pro. Is there any way that the 2 layouts above could show next to each other at all time instead of switching back and forth between them?

Like on the left I could have the list of my clients and when I select one it shows the client info (layout number 2) on the right but without making the list disappear? Again I hope I'm describing that the right way: think Outlook here when you open an email... A list with another section below/on the side that you can see the email content when you select one in the list.

Thanks again for all the help, super appreciated! :)

• 3. Re: Drop-down box and image relationship?
              philmodjunk

I see that you asked this question in a new thread and I have answered it there.