AnsweredAssumed Answered

Drop-down list linked to a second drop-down list

Question asked by MalcolmGarbett on Aug 22, 2014
Latest reply on Sep 30, 2014 by MalcolmGarbett

Title

Drop-down list linked to a second drop-down list

Background. Me.

New job, inherited a business-wide FileMaker deployment, created over many years by at least two people. In amongst my skillset I have databases and SQL and spend a lot of my working time in MS SQL. Through tutorials, training manuals and google been able to sort everything so far required in FM, but a little stuck on something, so thought I’d post here.

Background: My question.

There are a series of linked tables handling test/quality and there is an entry form for users to add “issues.” Each issue must be linked to a code.

All of this is already set up and is working.

Now, in order to better analyze issues, I have been asked to add a “top level” or “parent” code.

To do this I have created a new table and linked the existing code table to it, entering data as appropriate. So every existing code now has a “parent.”

Now I’m “stuck” on the form.

Form has a box where the user clicks and the drop-down list displays all of the existing codes. The user selects the correct code and that updates the “issues” table with the correct code.

What I need to do is: Have a drop-down box that lists the (new) “parent code”, and when the user selects the appropriate code a second drop-down list display the (existing) “child” codes that are linked to the “parent” code

Example:

Parent Code = AD (Administration)

Child codes =

RC (Route Card)

NF No Fault

PP Part Purchasing

User would choose AD from the drop down, then is presented with a drop down of NF and PP, and this selection is what updates the “issues” table.

Hopefully this makes sense and I haven’t gone overboard on detail.

Outcomes