3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2010 1:28 PM by philmodjunk

Drop-down list w/ data from 4 fields

k1ngf1sher

Title

Drop-down list w/ data from 4 fields

Hi, I've been ruminating over how to create a value list that includes the data from four different fields within the same record.  Here's the scenario:

For a crop rotation, different amounts of manure are applied depending upon the particular crop in the rotation (e.g., soybeans get 4,000 gal/acre but corn gets 10,000 gal/acre).  Rotations are planned in 4-year intervals, therefore, there could potentially be four different manure amounts.  I would like to take these values (rate1, rate2, rate3, rate4) and include them in a value list.

I cannot put my finger on how to do this and would appreciate any thoughts/insights on this issue.

Thanks,

K

• 1. Re: Drop-down list w/ data from 4 fields
          philmodjunk

Since a filemaker value list can only display data from two fields, you'll need to define a calculation field that combines these values and then use it as the data source for your value list.

A calculation defined something like:

rate1 & ", " & rate2 & ", " & rate3 & ", " & rate4

would let you put all these values in a single column by referencing this single calculation field.

Just make sure your field is set to return text instead of the default number setting.

• 2. Re: Drop-down list w/ data from 4 fields
            k1ngf1sher

Phil, Thanks again for the response.  I did some digging and found a solution that appears to work for the moment: I created a calculation field in my table that uses the 'List' function.  I then used this variable for my value list field.  Is there any reason you could see that might make this solution untenable?

Thanks,

K

• 3. Re: Drop-down list w/ data from 4 fields
              philmodjunk

If it lists the values the way you want, use it.

I'd think, though that you'd get a single column of values from it unless you use the subsitute function to replace the carriage returns produced by the list function with another character.

such as: Substitute ( List ( rate1 ; rate2 ; rate3 ; rate4 ; ) ; ¶ ; " " )