5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2009 3:26 PM by Jens Teich

Drop-down list with more than one item

Neal

Title

Drop-down list with more than one item

Scenario: Table1: "pharmacies" related to 

Table2: "Rx" 

Question:  How do I populate a drop-down list (in Rx) w/ values passed from more than one field of another table (pharmacies)?

Tried: Field/Control->Setup; Display as:->Drop-down list;

display values from-> Manage Value Lists->New;

Use values from field->Specify Field->Use values from 1st field

Problem: This approach seems to be limited to passing data from only one field of another table. 

• 1. Re: Drop-down list with more than one item
          Jens Teich
             You can add a second field by activating the check box 'also show values from second field'. If you want more than two fields in the value list you have to combine them in a calculation field.

Jens
          • 2. Re: Drop-down list with more than one item
            Neal

I need to pass the values of three fields from "Table 1", so it seems I would be resigned to using the calculation field method you mentioned.

How is that accomplished? 

• 3. Re: Drop-down list with more than one item
              Jens Teich
                 You don't need a value list to pass values from one table to another. The purpose of value lists is only display and easier selection.

To pass values there are different methods:

1. By script with 'set field' script step

2. By lookup. Data fields can have an option to lookup values over a relationship. This exchange is triggered by change of any key field of the relationship.

Jens

• 4. Re: Drop-down list with more than one item
                Neal

I want to pass the values of three fields from table1 to populate a drop-down list in table2, so I must use the calculation field method.  I created a calculation field combining the three fields into one, and then specified the drop down list to use the calculation field to populate itself, but when I click on the drop-down list arrow, the value of the three fields is displayed on one line, not as three separate choices as I had intended it to be.

It might be a syntax issue when specifying the calculation.  Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

• 5. Re: Drop-down list with more than one item
                  Jens Teich
                     Sorry for my slow understanding but I think now I got what you try to do.

Try to concatenate the fields with linefeeds like this
                  field1 &"¶" & field2 &"¶" & field3
                  in a calculation field and use this field to populate the value list.

Jens