8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2011 12:22 PM by arthursc

Drop-down lists not working

arthursc

Title

Drop-down lists not working

HI,

I will try and keep this simple.

I have an Estate table. List the usuals (name,address,country,zip,etc)

I also have a countries table.

I have a custom value list, listing countries.

I have added a feild in my layout for coutries. I want to make this a drop down list.

I have selected drop-down list and get values from custom values but when i exit the layout and select the drop-down list nothing happens, no value zilch!

Any advice would be good to why this doesn't work.

Regards

Colin.

• 1. Re: Drop-down lists not working
          philmodjunk

You'll need to look at the options you've selected in the Inspector's data tab and the settings for this value list in Manage | Value Lists...

Obviously, something there isn't selected correctly, but it's hard to guess which omission or other error is producing this result.

You describe this as a "custom value list" but you also describe having a countries table. The fact that you have a table of countries suggests that you should not use a custom value list but rather you should use the specify Field option to list the countries from your countries table. If this is what you have done, you might check the data type and indexing of the field in this countries table. It should be text, not number when you check it in Manage | Database | Fields and indexing should be enabled.

• 2. Re: Drop-down lists not working
            arthursc

Spotted thanks. I had the wrong table selected.

I am not using the countries table as seems pointless if I can use a custom value list.

Regards

Colin.

• 3. Re: Drop-down lists not working
              philmodjunk

Using the countries table instead of a custom value list--can eliminate the need for maintaining two identical lists of the same information.

• 4. Re: Drop-down lists not working
                arthursc

umm update.

Your answer worked on my 1st solution but now...

I have a tab that relates to secondary locations. I need to place a feild that contains the primary location that is a drop down list so the user can enter information regarding secondary locations WITHIN the primary location;

HomeFarm (Primary location) Hill Wood (secondary location)

The user selects homeFarm from the dropdown lsit and then enters data regarding Hill wood.

Estate and secondary locations are two tables.

Drop down list doesn't work.

Can I do this?

Regards

Colin

• 5. Re: Drop-down lists not working
                  philmodjunk

So if you select "HomeFarm" your value list only should list secondary locations appropriate for "HomeFarm" and selecting a different primary location produces a different list of secondary locations?

If so, this is called a conditional value list:

Forum Tutorial: Custom Value List?

Knowledgebase article: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5833/kw/conditional%20value%20list

Demo File: http://www.4shared.com/file/f8NsU2DJ/ConditionalValueListDemo.html

• 6. Re: Drop-down lists not working
                    arthursc

Hi Phil

"So if you select "HomeFarm" your value list only should list secondary locations appropriate for "HomeFarm" and selecting a different primary location produces a different list of secondary locations?"

Yes this is correct. But what I am trying to do is thus;

I have a new layout for secondary locations. In this are 3 fields;

Estate Name (drop downlist which should list primary locations to choose from)

Seondary Location Name

Comments

Its the estate name that should be a drop down list but for the life of me I cannot get it to list anything even though there is a TO of Estate called estate2 that has a relationship to Secondary Locations table

Regards
                    colin

• 7. Re: Drop-down lists not working
                      philmodjunk

The the TO of Estate isn't a factor here. You need a relationship linking the TO of your layout to the table of secondary location records and the TO of your secondary locations table used in this relationship is what should be the source of values for your value lists. Then you can specify "include only related values starting from [Select the TO of your layout here]."

A "mental model" that I find useful is that I look at my relationships and ask myself: "If I put a portal to my table of conditional values on this layout, would it display the values I want to see in my conditional value list?" If the answer is yes, I have a relationship I can use to set up the conditional value list, selecting the portal's TO as the table occurrence from which to specify fields and the layout's TO as the "starting from" TO.

• 8. Re: Drop-down lists not working
                        arthursc

Hi Phil,

I have sent you an email with the relationships screen shot.

You can see the relationships that we have been refering to in this article are highlighted in BROWN.

AN estate has a LOCATION. a LOCATION can have Multiple PRIMARY LOCATIONS and PRIMARY LOCATIONS can have Multiple SECONDARY_LOCATIONS.

Hope this make sense.

Regards

Colin.