4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2010 2:25 PM by cmspe

Drop-Down Lists/Pop-up menu to populate another drop-down list based on the value chosen.

cmspe

Title

Drop-Down Lists/Pop-up menu to populate another drop-down list based on the value chosen.

I am using FM Pro 10 on using MacOS X Snow Leopard and am looking to change from Microsoft Access to FM Pro 10, but need help with differences between the two.  I'm doing the 30-day trial to see if this program will do what Access does for me.  I am a teacher who wants a layout that when I select a teacher from a drop-down list, it populates another drop-down list with the periods that teacher teaches.  When I select the period I want, a list appears showing all students in that class ordered alphabetically.  I'm used to unbound text boxes and updating other unbound text boxes or displaying info in a listbox.

• 1. Re: Drop-Down Lists/Pop-up menu to populate another drop-down list based on the value chosen.
          philmodjunk

Here's a thread on setting up conditional value lists:

Custom Value List?

Another useful tool to look up in Filemaker's Help system is a "Portal" this almost exactly the same thing as a "sub Form" or "Sub report" in MS Access. This tool would be very useful for displaying your "...list ... showing all students in that class ordered alphabetically."

• 2. Re: Drop-Down Lists/Pop-up menu to populate another drop-down list based on the value chosen.
            cmspe
               How can I get a portal to display a class of students?  Do I have to have the current table Teachers and the portal from the table Students?  If so, how do I get just one class to fill the portal instead of all my students?  I have tables Teachers and Students and are related by Teacher ID.  Each student has a Period field and a Teacher ID field among others.  What would be the best way to bring up a single class alphabetically.  In Access I use an unbound combo box for choosing the teacher.  This combo box then populates the Period combo box with the periods that teacher teaches in order.  After choosing the period, a listbox is then populated with the students in that class.  When I select a student, that record is displayed.  I'm trying to figure out how to do that in Filemaker Pro 10.
            • 3. Re: Drop-Down Lists/Pop-up menu to populate another drop-down list based on the value chosen.
              philmodjunk

Instead of an unbound combo box, you'd define a text field with global storage and format it with a value list. (Global storage is a field option in Manage | Database | Fields.) You can use the name selected in this combo box to perform a find to find the selected teacher record.

When you define a subform in Access, you have to define it's record source by pointing it at a table or query right?

In Filemaker, you'll define a table occurrence in the relationships graph and point your portal at this table occurrence (TO). That TO and the relationship between the layout's TO will define your portal's "record source".

You can easily get a portal listing all students for a given teacher as you've already set this up I suspect. In relationships, you probably have:

Teachers::TeacherID = Students::TeacherID

If you place a portal to Students on your Teachers layout, you'll get that list. You can set a sort order for either the relationship or the portal to sort the student records first by period then by name to get the order you describe.

If you want the portal to list a selected period, you can make a more sophisticated, filtered portal based on a relationship like this:

Teachers::TeacherID = Students::TeacherID AND

Teachers:: Period = Students:: Period

Place Teachers Period on your Teachers layout formated with the list of possible periods and your portal can display selected periods for the current teacher record simply by selecting a period in that field.

If you want both lists, there's a way, but try out the above example before we get that fancy with the system.

Many folks find the terms Table and Table Occurrence confusing. To learn more, click the following link:

Table vs. Table Occurrence (Tutorial)

• 4. Re: Drop-Down Lists/Pop-up menu to populate another drop-down list based on the value chosen.
                cmspe
                   This is very helpful.  Thank you for getting me this far.  I'm beginning to understand TO's and global fields better.