6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2009 9:05 AM by bkeena00

Drop-down menu selection stalling application

bkeena00

Title

Drop-down menu selection stalling application

Hi there,

I am pretty new to using FikeMaker and could really use some help with this problem I'm having. I am using FileMaker 8.5 by the way on Windows XP. Using a database I have inherited from the person who was previously doing my job. One drop-down menu file, when I select any of the options, the entire application freezes. Nothing works until I either delete the entry or forcefully shut the program down via task manager. If I shut the programme down the entry I have entered is not there when restarted.

I have tried removing all the records in the fields and then reimporting them from a excell doc. This makes no difference at all.

Can anyone suggest some solutions to this please. As I said, I am new to the world of FileMaker so any suggests or help would be very gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

• 1. Re: Drop-down menu selection stalling application
          raybaudi

Hi Brian

Can you look and say us IF there is a calculation into the auto-enter option of that field ( or into the validation option )?

And, if there is one, can you write it down here ?

• 2. Re: Drop-down menu selection stalling application
            bkeena00

Hi Daniele,

thanks for assisting. I have checked and there is no calculation. I have tried directly selecting the relationship I need by creating new record, but the problem is with the validation in some way. This is the message I get each time.

<!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal      {mso-style-parent:"";      margin:0cm;      margin-bottom:.0001pt;      mso-pagination:widow-orphan;      font-size:12.0pt;      font-family:"Times New Roman";      mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1      {size:612.0pt 792.0pt;      margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt;      mso-header-margin:35.4pt;      mso-footer-margin:35.4pt;      mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1      {page:Section1;} --><!-- [if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable      {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";      mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;      mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;      mso-style-noshow:yes;      mso-style-parent:"";      mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;      mso-para-margin:0cm;      mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;      mso-pagination:widow-orphan;      font-size:10.0pt;      font-family:"Times New Roman";      mso-ansi-language:#0400;      mso-fareast-language:#0400;      mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif] -->

“image_id” is defined to contain only specific values. You must enter a valid value.

"image_id" is and automatically assigned numerical id, but I can sellect some, and not others. There is no calculations in the validation option at all.

Really need help, this is driving me a little crazy at this stage.

Brian.

• 3. Re: Drop-down menu selection stalling application
              raybaudi

bkeena00 wrote:

There is no calculations in the validation option at all.

... but there is sure at least one flag selected, which one ?

Unique ?

• 4. Re: Drop-down menu selection stalling application
                bkeena00
                   Correct. Unique is ticked.
                • 5. Re: Drop-down menu selection stalling application
                  raybaudi

The image_id field is the primary key of that table.

It's sure definited to auto-enter serial numbers, unique.

You haven't to insert NOTHING into it because FileMaker will do that job for you.

I'm really surprised that you can see that field and that that field is formatted as a drop-down.

To solve that problem I think that you'll need to verify the auto-enter options ( insert serial number ) and to delete that field from the layout ( not the table ).

• 6. Re: Drop-down menu selection stalling application
                    bkeena00

Thanks Daniele,

much appreciated.

Brian.