2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2010 10:38 AM by dont88_1

Drop-Down Value List from a Field Opening Slowly

dont88_1

Title

Drop-Down Value List from a Field Opening Slowly

Filemaker Pro 10 Advanced on Windows XP: I have created a value list of nearly 27,000 addresses from a text field in a table in the same database. Early in the development of my application the drop down list (for insertion of a selected address in a field in a different table) appeared almost instantly. Somewhere along the way it began to take four or five seconds to open the drop down list. The address field is a text field and Indexing was originally set to Minimal, but since changed to All in the hope that it would display faster if already indexed. I am designing this to run as a run-time version on a webbook/netbook so it populates the drop-down list even slower on the Intel Atom processor.

In an attempt to troubleshoot the problem, I have recreated, in a new database, the address list and the table in which I wish to insert a selected address and it displays instantly as expected. I then created a value list that points to the original file and selected the original address value list in the original file as the source for the drop-down value list. When I select the filed with that drop down list, it takes a few seconds, like in the original database, so the problem appears to be in the original file's address field or table.

I have "recovered" the original database and saved a "compacted copy" and neither effort improved the speed. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Drop-Down Value List from a Field Opening Slowly
          mrvodka

27,000 is a lot of items for a drop down list. I would suggest you use a popup window with a list view instead.

• 2. Re: Drop-Down Value List from a Field Opening Slowly
            dont88_1

As I said, 27000 addresses open almost instantly when I recreated the process in a new database. I also have the "Auto-Complete Using Value List" selected with the Drop-Down menu so I can pretty quickly jump to all the addresses with the number 1234 by simply typing 1234 then using the down arrow to find the exact 1234 + street name or continue typing to narrow  ther search even further.

The Auto-Complete doesn't appear to be available with the pop-up Menu and further it appears I have to click on the arrow at the bottom of the pop-up menu to scroll down the list. That takes way too much time.