7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2009 5:58 PM by dinora

Dropdown field frustration...

synergy46

Title

Dropdown field frustration...

I have a tables:     Screen Shot

DUES:

MemberID.fk

AcctNum    (Account Number - text.  This field is a DROPDOWN field and shows ALL the entered Accounts)

Description  (Account number description)

I got this set up and working.  But, aside from creating a script, I don't see a way to  allow the user to select an account and have the appropriate description be inserted into the description field.  

Or, am I missing something?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Dropdown field frustration...
          dinora

I I am understanding you correctly

You want for each member choose an account Number which is a drop down and based on your selection the the description from that account number displays

If this is what you want then I assume the table where you have accounts number is where the descriptions are entered Correct?

If your relations are established correctly then when you choose an account number you can have the description display just by adding a field which displays the description from the account numbers table by the selection of your drop down. 

I believe a many to many is needed here where Members in one table then account numbers in another table - A third table is needed to link it all (Join)

Let me know if it does not make sense/  

• 2. Re: Dropdown field frustration...
            synergy46

I I am understanding you correctly

You want for each member choose an account Number which is a drop down and based on your selection the the description from that account number displays

Yes, I want the user to select an account number AND have the account description show up on the Description field.

If this is what you want then I assume the table where you have accounts number is where the descriptions are entered Correct?  Correct.

If your relations are established correctly then when you choose an account number you can have the description display just by adding a field which displays the description from the account numbers table by the selection of your drop down.   That's what I thought.  But, since both the account number and description are within the same table, why does the relationship matter? Or, do I need to make a duplicate TO of the account and relate it to itself ... hmmmm ?  I suppose I could write a find script that would take the account numbe, 'find' it and then return the description value to a variable which would be the source for a  'set field' but isn't there an easier way?

Thanks for your help.

Ron

• 3. Re: Dropdown field frustration...
              dinora

Hi Ron,

Ok here is how you do it - You do not need a script

Create a table that has customer information -

pk_customerauto_id

Customer Name

Customer address etc

Create another table that has account information

pk_accountauto_id

Account Number

Account Description

So far so good correct?  In each table you enter customer information in one and account information on the other

Create a third table called Dues, this table will have

pk_dueauto_id

fk_customer_id

fk_account_id

Establish the following relation

From Customer Table --------<Dues>----------Accounts

pkcustomerid----------<fkcustomerid in dues table and

pkaccountsid----------<fkaccountsid in dues table

Build up two value lists one for customer and one for accounts (If you need help building the value list, let me know) otherwise I assume you know how

After you built your value list

Go to your Dues Layout and add the following fields

pk_dues_id (serial number auto enter)

Customer (Choose customer from drop down from value list(customer)

This will display the customer id

Customer name is a field that displays the customer name from the customer table

Account(choose account from drop down from value list (accounts)

Account description is a field that displays the account description from the Accounts table

You should be set then.

If you need further clarification let me know

Thanks

Dinora

• 4. Re: Dropdown field frustration...
                synergy46

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response but last minute tax complications took me away from this project.

I tried to implement your solution but the Description STILL does not show up when I select a NUM.    I don't see your logic that would compel the Description of a previously defined NUM to show. ???

You can check how I have the relationships set by clicking http://ronaldogordono.googlepages.com/accountanddescription<HERE> .

Also, the related fields are in a portal.  Does that make a difference?

Thanks.  I appreciate your ideas.

• 5. Re: Dropdown field frustration...
                  dinora

Do you want to email me the database and I can fix it for you?  Send me a private message and I'll provide you with my email address.

• 6. Re: Dropdown field frustration...
                    TSGal

Dinora:

I have sent you a private message (Top of this page - right side - just below the blue bar - X Messages).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: Dropdown field frustration...
                      dinora

OK well noted and thanks -