4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2013 5:31 PM by StevePugh

Dropdown list - "Include only records starting from..." breaks second field display

StevePugh

Title

Dropdown list - "Include only records starting from..." breaks second field display

Hello all, I have prowled the forums and have found a number of linked-dropdown posts, but none with my particular flavor of sorrow -- my apologies if this has been answered before.

I have two tables ("Projects" and "Shots"), every record in Projects has a pName (text) and a pID (auto-serial number).  Every record in Shots has a sName (text) and a pID (auto-serial number), as well as a sParentProjectID (number).

sParentProjectID and pID are joined in my Relationship graph.

In my layout (based on table Shots), I have a drop-down from which I can select a project.  Doing so is meant to populate a second drop-down with the sNames of all Shot records whose sParentProjectID matches the selected project's pID.  I hope I'm explaining things right so far.

Now for the weird.  My shots dropdown's Value List is From Field shots::sID and shots::sName, showing only records from the second field.  If I check "Include All Values" then I see the names as I would expect, albeit for every record in the Shots table.  If I check "Include only related values starting from " and choose Projects, then I get only those shots that are related to the selected Project (great!), but I only see the shot record's sID value and not the sName value (less great).

I humbly beseech any and all suggestions, I've already learned a lot just from prowling here but my prowl has lost steam and my eyes are itching.

Many thanks,

Steve

RelationshipTable.jpg

• 1. Re: Dropdown list - "Include only records starting from..." breaks second field display
          philmodjunk

I suggest adding a new table occurrence of shots and link it like this:

Shots::sParentProjectID = Shots|SameProject::sParentProjectID

List your values from Shots|SameProject, include only related values starting from Shots.

• 2. Re: Dropdown list - "Include only records starting from..." breaks second field display
            StevePugh

Thank you for the quick reply, Phil, just a couple of quick followup questions - the first being "do you ever sleep?", because it seems you are always helping people here.  Having said that, don't sleep yet ;-)

I've implemented the TO addition you recommended and the list populates nicely with names.  However, selecting one of the items in the dropdown no longer causes all of the other saucy fields on my layout to fill up with their shot-specific data.  I am thinking this would be because they are coming from Shots and my dropdown is coming from Shots|SameProject?  Do I reassign all of them if that is the case?

Also, a cosmetic question - when I select a new Project from that dropdown, the Shots list initially displays the shot's sID.  Clicking it shows only sNames, which is all I ever really want to see.  Is there a trick to tell my Shots dropdown to display its first value by sName instead of sID?

Many thanks again,

Steve

• 3. Re: Dropdown list - "Include only records starting from..." breaks second field display
              philmodjunk

First, you have to explain how those fields are set to display data as there are multiple ways to do that. Off hand, I don't see why their behavior would change unless your value list is now entering data different from what they need to access related records.

Second there are two options:

Option 1: Use a pop up menu instead of drop down list.

Option 2: Place the hots|SameProject::sname field on top of your drop down list. Give it an opaque fill color so that you cannot see the drop down field. Use the behavior settings in the Inspector to deny browse mode access to this field. Now, when you click on the sname field, the drop down list pops to the front and deploys. When you select a value from the list, it disappears back behind sName--which now displays the sname of the selected record.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• 4. Re: Dropdown list - "Include only records starting from..." breaks second field display
                StevePugh

Thank you for the popup/dropdown suggestion, works a treat.

You know what else works really well?  Checking to see if you didn't disable the ENTIRE script that populates your form based on what you select from the Shots dropdown list.

#selfpunch

So I now have a popup of projects, from which selecting a project will populate my second popup with only that project's shots, and sets that second popup to the first shot in the list.  Nicey-nice.

Thank you again, sir!  I knew in my soul that the root problem lied in my incomplete understanding of Table Occurances, I don't know how long I would have stared at my screen before thinking of self-joining.  Which sounds naughtier than it is, I think.

Best,

Steve