1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 12, 2014 4:08 PM by philmodjunk

Dropdown list based on separate 3 column table

joecc

Title

Dropdown list based on separate 3 column table

My DB consists of Main table with provision for several drop down lists based on related tables. For example, I have a table with ID, country, & continent. I want to use that in a drop down list in Main, saving only the ID on the Main layout. This DB is imported, so I don't want to lose the indexing of the existing records in Main. It appears that Inspector doesn't allow this means of linking the 2 tables in a DD list. How to do this?

To emphasize my needs, Artworks layout (Main in my earlier post) gets IDs from drop down lists from various tables related to it. See attaeched ER image. This also applies to country,  CntryID, in Artist layout. 

MFAH_db_ER.png

• 1. Re: Dropdown list based on separate 3 column table
          philmodjunk

This isn't a setting that you'd make in the Inspector, but in Manage | Value Lists. But that's something you can open from the Inspector so that may be what you meant here.

"use values from a field" value lists can only list data from two fields. The standard work around is to define a calculation field that combines the data of two or more fields and use that as the second field. So you could define a calculation field that looks like this:

Country & ", " & Continent // or revers the order to put the continent first

and then you can use your calculation field as "field 2" in the value list.

But sometimes, a value list is not the best option for data selection in a FileMaker database. You might check out the Adventures in FileMaking series. Adventures 1 and 2. They are free to download.

Adventures in FileMaking #1 - Conditional Value Lists (includes details on how to set up a basic field based value list)
          Adventures in FileMaking #2 - Enhanced Value Selection (what to do when a simple value list won't cut it.)

Caulkins Consulting, Home of Adventures In FileMaking