1 2 3 Previous Next 83 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2011 3:27 PM by brian.curran

DropDown List in a Portal, works great except on IWP

brian.curran

Title

DropDown List in a Portal, works great except on IWP

Hi,
      I'm using FM Pro 11 Advanced and have a dropdown list in a portal that works great on FM Go too.

However, on IWP the field can't be selected and the list doesn't drop down. Any suggestions on where to start looking to try and fix this problem would be appreciated...

Thanks
      Brian. 

• 1. Re: DropDown List in a Portal, works great except on IWP
          philmodjunk

What kind of value list does it use? Any chance that it's a conditional value list/ (They can be problematic to implement in IWP.)

If not, you might try small adjustments to the field's size and location to see if that makes a difference.

• 2. Re: DropDown List in a Portal, works great except on IWP
            brian.curran

Hi Phil,
            Thanks for the suggestion. It was a drop down list with Field Values from the Addresses table with an opaque field over the top, the order of these two fields must have been causing problems for IWP.

Many thanks
            Brian. 

• 3. Re: DropDown List in a Portal, works great except on IWP
              brian.curran

BUMP!
              I'm still having problems with this I'm afraid...

I have people listed in Contacts who are associated to Addresses. The many-to-many relationship is:
              Contacts --< CONTACTS_ADDRESSES >-- Addresses

On the Contacts layout, I have a Portal to CONTACTS_ADDRESSES that shows each Address that a Contact is associated with.

The problem I have is that I need a drop-down list that my users can select from which is based on something they recognise, E.g. a Site name & Address. 

For example:
              We may have a single customer called Bloggs who has two buildings at an Address.
              Each building is set up as a separate record so we might have Bloggs 1, Anytown, UK and Bloggs 2, Anytown, UK

The current drop-down setup only displays Anytown, UK so we can't associate a Contact to an individual building. Does that make sense?

Sites are connected to Addresses via another relationship:
              Sites --< SITES_ADDRESSES >-- Addresses

If I create a Calc field to combine the Site name and Address (Bloggs 1, Anytown, UK), which KP from which table would I need to use? Or, is there another way to achieve a more intuitive drop-down list?

Thanks
              Brian. 

• 4. Re: DropDown List in a Portal, works great except on IWP
                brian.curran

I'm reluctant to waste yet more hours experimenting, as this has had me stumped all weekend. Could I have your opinions on whether the following will work?

I would like to concatenate/pair up a "site_name" from the Sites table to a "site_address" from the Addresses table. This would give my users a uniquely named list of sites/addresses for the drop-down list.

As things stand now, I have several sites with the same name but different addresses and differently named sites with the same address. The above would differentiate each physical location in the same way a unique ID does.

However, I'm not sure where I would 'calculate' this expression and more importantly, how would I store the KP from the Address side of the calculation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as the database is currently unusable until I restore the Backup and fix this issue...

Many thanks
                Brian. 

• 5. Re: DropDown List in a Portal, works great except on IWP
                  philmodjunk

Contacts --< CONTACTS_ADDRESSES >-- Addresses --< SITES_ADDRESSES >-- Sites

This looked pretty simple until you brought in that Sites table we've discussed before. I'm not clear on why that's a part of this process if you are linking contacts to addresses by an address ID.

FYI, I access the forum from time to time from "8:30ish" to "4:30ish" Pacific Standard Time. Weekend posts will not be seen by me until I access the forum on Monday and work my way down through the more recent posts...

• 6. Re: DropDown List in a Portal, works great except on IWP
                    brian.curran

Hi Phil,
                    I'm probably over-complicating things, it certainly wouldn't be the first time!

Thinking out loud:
                    We are adding a persons details to the "Contacts" table and trying to assign this new contact to an "Address" using the "Contacts_Addresses" join table and a drop-down list.

This is where the confusion lies for our Users, as a single Address in the drop-down list may in fact be used by one or more Sites. Ideally, I would like the drop-down to display a concatenation of the Site name and Address that have been paired up via the Addresses to Sites_Addresses to Sites relationship.

By the way, I'm not sure whether this is relevant or not but the relationships are:
                    Contacts --< CONTACTS_ADDRESSES >-- Addresses -- SITES_ADDRESSES --< Sites
                    ?

Thanks
                    Brian. 

• 7. Re: DropDown List in a Portal, works great except on IWP
                      brian.curran

PS.
                      I noticed you only seem to visit the forums Mon-Fri but your advice is always worth waiting for Cool 

• 8. Re: DropDown List in a Portal, works great except on IWP
                        philmodjunk

Are you sure that you have the relationships you've just posted?

The problem with what you posted is that a given address can refer to more than one site. You'd only see one value in your value list of address ID's with just the first site name concatenated to the a address. You wouldn't see multiple addresses where the address is the same but the site is different as implied is the case with your update of my relationships graph.

If you have these relationships:

contacts::ContactID = Contacts_Addresses::ContactID
                        Addresses::AddressID = Contacts_Addresses::AddressID
                        Addresses::AddressID = Sites_Addresses::AddressID
                        Sites::SiteID = Sites_Addresses::SiteID

Then my original "Map" of your relationships was a correct representation of what you have in your database.

• 9. Re: DropDown List in a Portal, works great except on IWP
                          brian.curran

Are you sure that you have the relationships you've just posted?

Yes, I think so:
                          Relationship 

If you have these relationships:

contacts::KPContactID = Contacts_Addresses::KFContactID
                          Addresses::KPAddressID = Contacts_Addresses::KFAddressID
                          Addresses::KPAddressID = Sites_Addresses::KPAddressID
                          Sites::KFSiteID = Sites_Addresses::KPSiteID

Very close to what I have but I'm unsure how much of a difference the KP & KF makes...

• 10. Re: DropDown List in a Portal, works great except on IWP
                            brian.curran

My apologies Phil, "_003_Site_Addresses" and "_003_Billing_Addresses" are duplicate TO's of the "_003_Addresses" table!

• 11. Re: DropDown List in a Portal, works great except on IWP
                              philmodjunk

You still have the apparent issue that your suggested calculation will show only the first site with a given address.

You might try a value list with _004_Sites::_kf_site_AddressID as column 1 and your concatenated data drawn from _004_Sites for column 2 for your value list.

• 12. Re: DropDown List in a Portal, works great except on IWP
                                brian.curran

Sorry for being slow to catch on here. Are you saying that because of the current relationship, the drop-down list will only show a single entry even though it might be associated with more than one site?

• 13. Re: DropDown List in a Portal, works great except on IWP
                                  philmodjunk

What you originally proposed was based on the Address table. Since there is only one record for any given address, the value list can only list one such value in the first column. Your contatenation field will be an unstored calculaiton due to referring to the sites table and thus cannot be displayed in the value list at all. Come to think of it. My suggested work around as the same issues. I'll have to think about this one a bit more...

• 14. Re: DropDown List in a Portal, works great except on IWP
                                    brian.curran

Ok, thanks for the explanation Phil.

I've just looked at the script for creating a new Customer to see how things are currently being performed:
                                    Go to Addresses, new record, set variable $AddressID; kp_address_id (E.g. copy KP - 123)
                                    Go to Sites, new record, set variable kf_site_address_id; $AddressID (paste KF - 123)

So, for every new Customer location I set up, I am creating a new Address record and a new, matching Site record.

For example:
                                    Bloggs 1, Anytown, UK
                                    Bloggs 2, Anytown, UK

Looking in the Tables themselves, I have two records for Bloggs 1 and Bloggs 2 in Sites and I have Anytown, UK listed as two separate records in Addresses. These records are automatically linked by the $AddressID variable in the script (123)

On the other side of the coin, I could have:
                                    Bloggs, Manchester (124)
                                    Bloggs, Liverpool (125)
                                    Bloggs, London (126) etc. etc. 

It appears that I've got everything in place already for Users to choose the relevant Site/Address combination, the ID to be stored (123) just needs to be displayed as the Site/Address concatenation string?

1 2 3 Previous Next