1 Reply Latest reply on May 13, 2010 11:15 AM by philmodjunk

Dropdown lists between tables and records

FredYoung

Title

Dropdown lists between tables and records

Hello Everyone.

This is my first time writing in this forum and I'm fairly new to Filemaker Pro.

I got FM11 Pro on a Windows 7 PC. (x64)

I'll try to describe my problem as detailed as possible...

I got 2 tables.

Clients and Products.

The Products Table Contains of 1 product per Record. And i got 2 layouts named after the tables.

On the client layout i got a 3 dropdown lists "EmailProd1", "EmailProd2" and "EmailProd3" and they are getting their values from the Value List ProductList from the Products Field "ProductName" so that the dropdown list contains of all my products.

I want a button now that sends an Email to the clients email and IN the email, it should write out the "PruductName" AND a short description from the Products field "ProductDesc"

In the calculation, I said to write out "EmailProd1", "EmailProd2" and "EmailProd3" but how do I make it write out the 3 different descriptions on all of them? Please help...

Thanks everyone!

• 1. Re: Dropdown lists between tables and records
          philmodjunk

You should have at least two more tables in your database. You might get by with one, but if you plan on selling or shipping product to the same customer more than one time you need two.

Invoices and LineItems.

Each time you sell or ship product (I'm not sure which you are doing here), you create a new invoice record and select the client from a drop down that references the client table. A portal to LineItems is used to record the ID and quantity of each item. The LineItems table looks up unit price and description text from the Products table.

You will then need either a script and/or a calculation to compose the text in the body of your email. It would be simpler to have your database save a PDF of the invoice and attach it to your email.

You might want to examine your templates that come with filemaker pro 11. I think there's one that demonstrates invoicing.