1 2 3 Previous Next 38 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2010 9:31 AM by ralvy

Dropdown Menu bug

ralvy

Title

Dropdown Menu bug

Before I post this in the bug report forum, I'd like to see if others can dupe it.

1. Create two tables: Test and Test2.

2. Create one field in each table called "Number". Define it as a Number field.

3. In Test table, create a Value List called "Number". Base it on the Number field in Test2 table.

4. Create four records in Test2 table, with the following values in the Number field, respectively: 109, 110, 111, 112.

5. Define a Dropdown Menu in Test table on the Number field. Assign the above Value List you defined in Step 3 to that Dropdown Menu.

Now go into New Record mode in Test table. Activate the Dropdown Menu and type 111. I find that typing any oither value (109, 110, or 112) works fine, in that the highlight bar moves to the desired object. But not for 111.

I'm using FMPA 10 on an XP SP3 computer.

• 1. Re: Dropdown Menu bug
          LaRetta_1

FileMaker indexes the entire number.  And FM only responds (jumps to a selection) if it finds an exact MATCH.  So here's how it plays out:

If you only have a 111 and you type a 1 and stop, FM will believe it has not found a match on the 1 and will not move. If you have a 11 and a 111 and you type a 1 and stop, FM will not move and if you type a 11, it will not move because it thinks it didn't find the 1 so will stop.  It will jump to 110 if there is no 1 and no 11.

This is true with all the numbers ... play with it a bit and you'll begin to see the pattern of when it works and when not.

• 2. Re: Dropdown Menu bug
            ralvy

I'm not sure I understand this at all. I have found that if I first type 0, then it all works fine. That is, 0111 will find 111. The same is true for the other numbers.

What I don't understand from your explanation is the exact MATCH thing. 111 is an exact match for 111. So why doesn't FM find it that way? Is there some documentation on this?

• 3. Re: Dropdown Menu bug
              raybaudi

ralvy wrote:

I find that typing any oither value (109, 110, or 112) works fine, in that the highlight bar moves to the desired object. But not for 111.

I'm using FMPA 10 on an XP SP3 computer.

I can't replicate your problem... the bar moves to 111 too. Same configuration.

BTW: what is a NO-NO is to have 111 or any other number highlighting when type 0111 !!!

• 4. Re: Dropdown Menu bug
                LaRetta_1

"Activate the menu and type 111."

Daniele said, "I can't replicate your problem... the bar moves to 111 too. Same configuration."

With dropdown one can't type 111 and have it jump to the number because number values lists are indexed on the VALUE. I tested it repeatedly again. 

"What I don't understand from your explanation is the exact MATCH thing. 111 is an exact match for 111."

Read on indexing in FM Help (a number MUST be indexed as ALL and this is what it says about ALL:   Create both word and value indexes for text fields or calculation fields returning text results. For number, date, time, and timestamp fields, as well as calculation fields returning results of these types, All creates an index of a field's values.

What this means is that the entire 'word' is not indexed but rather each digit.  And for each key stroke, FM will try to find that number.  If it can't find that number, it will stop and not move.  Using 111 isn't good example because I can't easily show you in the value list how it will jump to a 1.  Delete all records from test2 and create records only for 1, 2, 3, 33, 333.  I want the 1 and 2 at the beginning so you can see if the selection causes a jump.

Pop your list and type 3.  It jumps to 3.  The value of 3 has been indexed (the digit is a match to your typed request).   But now type 33.  FM reads the first 3 and jumps to the 3 and stops because it found an exact match!  And since 333 is (3) single 3's, FM will NEVER get past it ... it will stop if it doesn't find a 3 and jump to a 3 if it does.  This 'strange behavior' will only be observed when the number is same in all digits because FM indexes the digit!!

Typing a zero first is interesting.  But zero is not a number so it is ignored by the value list.  However, it seems to switch the index to text (ALL) and it then responds to search on word and value so, again with your same records as above, if you type 03, it will jump to 3 and if you type 3 again, it will jump to 33 and it will keep jumping because it now treats it as text ... looking for the digit AND word.

• 5. Re: Dropdown Menu bug
                  ralvy

Typing a zero first is interesting.  But zero is not a number so it is ignored by the value list.  However, it seems to switch the index to text (ALL) and it then responds to search on word and value so, again with your same records as above, if you type 03, it will jump to 3 and if you type 3 again, it will jump to 33 and it will keep jumping because it now treats it as text ... looking for the digit AND word.

Well, I think I'm starting to understand this a little. But if I change the fields to Text, it doesn't help the situation. I think your explanation suggests that if the following are all text:

then a Dropdown Menu would find 111. But it doesn't.

• 6. Re: Dropdown Menu bug
                    LaRetta_1

That is not what I was suggesting at all; I am saying that typing the zero changes the behavior (and it would as well if you type an 'a' then then a number INTO A NUMBER FIELD) .  I am not even defending the behavior ... I am only saying that, when you are using a number field in a value list (and number fields must index every digit) and value lists remove duplicates from the index ... that you are getting 'as expected' behavior as can be expected.

If anything, the alpha changing the behavior of selection is strange, but not finding a 111 or a 222 in a number value list is NOT strange nor a bug, in my opinion (reasoning clearly explained above).  RE:  jumping (which is what we are talking about) ... it can only jump to the first match or not jump at all.  It's matching on the digit.

• 7. Re: Dropdown Menu bug
                      ralvy
                         What I was hoping, after reading your explanation about words vs values, was that if I changed the field to Text, I could get the Dropdown Menu to find '111' because '1', '11', and '111' are all different words. But that doesn't work.

I did more testing on this. If I use Number fields, as long as the first two digits in the search are different, the Dropdown Menu finds the intended number. Say I have the following values in the Number field (three different records):

In that case, the Dropdown Menu will find any of the above, depending on how many times I press the '1' key. I would have thought that if it was searching on values, it wouldn't find the second and third entries above.

The same goes for a Text field. As long as the first two characters in the search are different, the Dropdown Menu finds the intended string. Say I have the following values in the Text field (three different records):

ba

baa

baaa

In that case, the Dropdown Menu will find any of the above, depending on how many times I press the 'a' key.

• 8. Re: Dropdown Menu bug
                        comment_1
                           I cannot replicate this problem either (FMPA 10, OS X 10.5.6). If I type "111", the correct value in the drop-down gets highlighted - provided I type these characters in quick succession. Otherwise, I suppose, it thinks I am starting over.
                        • 9. Re: Dropdown Menu bug
                          ralvy
                             Why is it that Danielle and Comment don't experience this problem at all?
                          • 10. Re: Dropdown Menu bug
                            LaRetta_1

I don't know, Ralvy, maybe there is a bug after all.  I ran my tests here at home on 9.0v3.  As far back as vs. 7, dropdown numbers (for me) have behaved as you indicate.  But when you posted, I created a file and re-tested repeatedly to be sure (before I even responded to you).  And believe me, I can type the number fast and it does NOT jump as it does for Daniele nor Comment.  Dropdown on TEXT has always jumped properly down through alpha for me (as they indicate) if typed quickly but never numbers (even if the number is in a text field). 

After Daniele posted, I even created brand new files back through every version (7.0v3, 8.0v3, 8.5) and they all behave same - will NOT jump on number field except to the first number.

Windows XP Professional 2002, SP3

I didn't have vs. 10 here on this box to test but I had not heard of any unexpected behavior nor differences between 9 and 10 in this regard.  I know Daniele has XP and Comment is Mac.  Why it would work for some and not others is beyond me but, if 'broken', it's been this way for a long time.  I believed the reasoning spoke for itself as I tested over and over - only jumping to the first of a number, because it is responding to each digit of the number independently.  But now I have no reasoning nor logic from which to draw.

Again ... the test is:

Value list on number field and that value list attached to another number field formatted as drop-down.  Then typing the number.  Does it jump or not jump for others if the number is 111, 222 etc?   I doubt we are the only two in the universe who experiences this behavior.

• 11. Re: Dropdown Menu bug
                              ralvy

LaRetta wrote:

... Dropdown on TEXT has always jumped properly down through alpha for me (as they indicate) if typed quickly but never numbers (even if the number is in a text field)...

Actually, LaRetta, I cannot get to 111 in a Dropdown Menu in TEXT also. It fails in both Number and Text fields.

• 12. Re: Dropdown Menu bug
                                LaRetta_1
                                   Yes, I know, look again at what you quoted from me ....  I said it jumps properly down through ALPHA characters (advancing by second and third character if typed quickly).  But I said it does NOT jump properly with numbers ONLY even in text field and never has for me.
                                • 13. Re: Dropdown Menu bug
                                  ralvy

LaRetta wrote:
                                  Yes, I know, look again at what you quoted from me ....  I said it jumps properly down through ALPHA characters (advancing by second and third character if typed quickly).  But I said it does NOT jump properly with numbers ONLY even in text field and never has for me.

Oops. Didn't read it carefully enough.

Does what I outlined before go along with your understanding of the way Dropdown Menus should work? That is, as long as the first two characters are different, the Dropdown Menu will find any sequence of numbers or characters (e.g., it will find 2111 in a Number field, and baaa in a Text field).  At least that's what my testing shows.

• 14. Re: Dropdown Menu bug
                                    LaRetta_1

Well, we've been all through this.  But one thing I did NOT put together until now ... if I have a text field with dropdown and:

n

na

never

nnnnn

... I can type nnnnn as fast as lightening and the drop-down will NOT jump to the nnnn.  I don't know what to say about that either.  And I'm out of this conversation.  There is nothing else I can add that I haven't already given.  It is time for others to speak but yes, the change the in second character seems to matter.  But I also don't want to forget how typing an alpha in the number field make it work for me, so a111 will jump to 111.

1 2 3 Previous Next