3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2013 11:23 AM by philmodjunk

Dropdown readout?

ChrisJohnston

Title

Dropdown readout?

Does anyone have or know about techniques for making a dropdown display the current record you are on or things like a parent record. I have a way I am doing it but I wonder if it is the best way. The way I am accomplishing it is; I just take a field with the deduced result that I want it to display a put it on top of the field that I have set to a self-join. This self-join than has a relationship set up limiting it to the members I want to show up based on the context. What I ultimately want is a set of dropdowns across the top of my solution that show the trail or breadcrumb, and when each one is clicked I can go to that record. The top dropdowns will update accordingly. I have seen a way to make this really nice using FileMaker 13 with the visibility option so that when there is not any more trail only one dropdown will show. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

• 1. Re: Dropdown readout?
          philmodjunk

What problem are you solving by putting one field on top of another? What do you mean by "a field with the deduced result that I want it to display".

I think that you are placing a name field from a related table occurrence on top of a drop down list that enters an ID number and thus you want to show the name, not the number once you exit the drop down list.

If so, then this is a pretty standard way to make such a drop down list more user friendly. The other option is to use a pop up menu and then you don't need to put the name field on top. But since pop up menus behave and look different from drop down lists, this isn't always a desirable option.

And if you want to expend the needed scripting effort, you can also set up a text field with an auto-complete enabled drop down list of names such that selecting the name, links the records by ID numbers.

See this demo file:

FileMaker 12 users: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/78737945/SimpleNameLookupDemo.fmp12
               Pre FileMaker 12 Users: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/78737945/SimpleNameLookupDemo.fp7

• 2. Re: Dropdown readout?
            ChrisJohnston

I think that you are placing a name field from a related table occurrence on top of a drop down list that enters an ID number and thus you want to show the name, not the number once you exit the drop down list.

Exactly + the auto-complete. From the look of the demo file it is what I am talking about. Is the auto-complete handled by the script only?

• 3. Re: Dropdown readout?
              philmodjunk

The auto-complete is an option specified in the inspector. The desire to get auto-complete to work is what motivated me to figure out the techniques used in the demo file.

Scripting is used to handle cases where the data entered does not match any related record and when it matches more than one related record.

And another simple script, performed by the OnRecordLoad trigger updates this text field so that any changes in the related table will automatically update the text in the drop down field.