12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2010 9:48 AM by JBaize

Dropping information/ inaccurate information returned

JBaize

Title

Dropping information/ inaccurate information returned

Hi.  I am running FileMaker Pro 10 on Windows 7 Pro.  The database file is currently located on our local server which is running Windows SBS 2008.

My issue is that since installing this less than a month ago, the program worked fine. Today, when I try to do a "find" to dtermine the total number of active persons in the database, the number comes up much lower than it did yesterday. Also, the program eliminates names when I do a search by first inital of last names. However, if I search by the individual name, the person is found in the database. What must I do to have this problem corrected? It is very frustrating when management asks for a current number of active people and the program refuses to give accurate information.

• 1. Re: Dropping information/ inaccurate information returned
          philmodjunk

You may have a corrupted index.

If there are other people sharing your database, wait until you can be the sole user to do this:

Enter Manage | Database | Fields

Find the definition of the field on which you are performing your find and double click it.

If it's a data field, click the storage tab and change the indexing to "none".

If it's a calculation field, click the storage options button and change the indexing to "none".

Click OK until you've left Manage | Database

Re-open Manage | Database and repeat the above steps but turn indexing back on.

Now check to see if your finds work.

A more exhaustive test is to perform a Recover on your file. If the recovered file works correctly, replace it with a back up copy.

• 2. Re: Dropping information/ inaccurate information returned
            JBaize

Thank you for the suggestion, but that did not work. Let me try to exlain better for you. I am not completely Filemaker illiterate, but I am no really experience either. I use Filemaker as a database of everyone who has ever applied to be added to our referral database. I have that information broken down into 4 classes; active, inactive, removed, and applicants. Whenever I need to know how many persons are in either category, I click on Find, then the specific category, then Perform find. The result should be the correct number in the specific class. This is where the problem lies because the number coming back is incorrect. In fact, after thoroughly checking, I have found that the program omits several files containg the persons information. I hope this makes it somewhat clearer.

• 3. Re: Dropping information/ inaccurate information returned
              (O_O)

Is the database on the server being hosted correctly through either being opened on FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Server?  FileMaker files should be shared through FileMaker sharing and not through sharing through the OS.  Pg 109 of the user's guide for 11.

http://www.filemaker.com/support/product/docs/fmp/fmp11_users_guide.pdf )

If it gets shared through the OS's file sharing, then data could get lost or overwritten by another running copy of FileMaker trying to open the file.  Basically you run into a situation of corrupting the file.

• 4. Re: Dropping information/ inaccurate information returned
                philmodjunk

That's pretty much what I understood from your first post. Sometimes and index goes bad and then searches, sorts and relationships that use that index fail to produce the expected results.

"I click on Find, then the specific category, then Perform find"

Let's take a closer look at that process. Exactly how are your specifying the category? Clicking a radio button, check box, choosing from a drop down/pop up or just typing in data into a field?

Is the category field a text field or a number field? (Check the options selected in Manage | Database | Fields)

• 5. Re: Dropping information/ inaccurate information returned
                  JBaize

I specify the category by clicking on a radio button. That field is a text as mentioned;active, inactive, removed, applicant. This is the same procedure I have used for the past 3 years with Filemaker Pro 8. The version 10 is only less than a month old.

• 6. Re: Dropping information/ inaccurate information returned
                    philmodjunk

Believe it or not, you can enter text such as "active, inactive, removed, applicant" into a number field. That's why I'm asking you to check the option selected in Manage | Database | Fields. In any case that's a long shot.

You indicated that you know the find is not finding the correct records as you can find records that aren't being pulled up by the find you perform. How does this description match what you are doing?

You enter find mode. (Click find in the status area)

Click the "active" radio button

Peform the find (Click perform find in the status area)

You then select Show Omitted Only in the records menu. (This swaps the records found for the records that weren't found.)

Clicking through this group of records, you can find one or more records with "active" selected in this radio button field.

Just to confirm, you did try recovering the file and the recovered copy also failed to find the records correctly?

• 7. Re: Dropping information/ inaccurate information returned
                      JBaize

I am the only person using this program, but our IT rep. has set the sharing and it is through the Filemaker network.

• 8. Re: Dropping information/ inaccurate information returned
                        JBaize

Yes, we did try the recover and still no dice. Going through the omitted only files will mean going through a couple thousand.

• 9. Re: Dropping information/ inaccurate information returned
                          JBaize

The outlined process is correct until you get to the show omitted only. I don't do that because it brings up all of those listed as removed, inactive,and applicant. I know that the find process is not bringing everything up because I have a hard copy file as back up. The filemaker does my sorting by certain parameters when I need to work up a referral list for our consumers.

• 10. Re: Dropping information/ inaccurate information returned
                            philmodjunk

Or just one record if the first omitted record you check happens to show "active". :smileywink:

You can try speeding up the search by sorting these records by this field.

I'm just trying to confirm what you see when you spot a record that should have been found and wasn't actually found. That could help narrow down what needs to be done to fix this.

So far, re-indexing the field didn't fix it and it doesn't sound like your value list is concealing data from view (Though I can't totally rule that out yet.)

• 11. Re: Dropping information/ inaccurate information returned
                              (O_O)

Hrm.  It sounds quite odd.  Are the total number of records in each of the table matching as well [ not just in the find but in the whole set of records ]?

• 12. Re: Dropping information/ inaccurate information returned
                                JBaize

No, the number does not match the physical counts. In addition to having dropped about 20 or so files when I do a find, it also drops files when I do a find by each individual last name initial. It does not always occur in every initial, especially the smaller groups. Also, if I have a hyphenated name, the file will be recorded in both names ie: Jones-Smith. Previously only the name Jones would be picked up. If I run the letter "M", I will get M as well as the Mc group, but if I run MC I will not get the M group.