5 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2015 9:08 AM by philmodjunk

Due Date Calculation

SydneyBlock

Title

Due Date Calculation & Using FileMaker Labels to Create ID Cards

Good morning!

I have a date field that is a text type. What I am trying to do is create an expiration date as well. I have a calculation field that is;

Date + 365 ( calc result is Date )

For some reason, this calculation is returning a "?" . Any possibility why? I've looked for any sort of answers and have found nothing.

My second issue is for this database, I am creating a layout using a labels layout to create an operator's ID card. These cards will be printed on both sides. My only issue is I have created a layout that prints perfectly for the first card, but is there a way for me to tell FileMaker to move to the next label space, or have the user designate which space to move to? The method I created will solely print in each left corner, and I do not want to waste the extra space. Any ideas on this? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Due Date Calculation & Using FileMaker Labels to Create ID Cards
          philmodjunk

You have answered your own question:

I have a date field that is a text type

The calculation you are using requires a field of type Date--which is the data type you should be using for dates in the first place to better insure that valid dates are being entered and in order to take advantage of the many date functions and calculations in FileMaker that are only possible with date, not text, values.

GetasDate ( Date ) + 365

will work as long as the text in Date represents a valid date in correct format, but you would be better off changing the field to a field of type date.

Your second question lacks detail. I think that you are trying to print labels using a plain paper printer (as opposed to a dedicated label printer) with muliple labels per page. If so, you need to set up a "labels" layout for this that prints in columns. If, when creating a new layout, you select the labels layout option, you can enter an avery form number and get a labels layout automatically created for you. If you do not have an avery number or your's is not in the list of available options, you can still create a custom labels layout by specifying the dimensions of your label.

• 2. Re: Due Date Calculation & Using FileMaker Labels to Create ID Cards
            SydneyBlock

Thank you! that GetasDate function worked perfectly, and it turned out that i did have it set to date type. 

When printing in columns, does this allow for the specification of where to print?

• 3. Re: Due Date Calculation & Using FileMaker Labels to Create ID Cards
              philmodjunk

If it was set to date type, you do not need getasdate.

I do not understand your second question. Can you describe the problem in more detail?

• 4. Re: Due Date Calculation & Using FileMaker Labels to Create ID Cards
                SydneyBlock

okay, as in there are say, 10 labels per page. I am having trouble printing in more than one label, but I only want one label to print at a time, if that makes any sense.

So for one operator's ID card, I want to print just ONE label. Then for the next operator, I want to be able to designate to print in the next blank label. 

In theory, be able to designate which label space to print in.

• 5. Re: Due Date Calculation & Using FileMaker Labels to Create ID Cards
                  philmodjunk

The best option would be to use a dedicated label printer such as the Dymo. This just uses a custom page size and you don't have to mess around with scripts and dummy records as well as repeatedly re-loading the same label sheet back into the printer with the risk that a label will peal off inside your printer due to the repeated re-loads.

(FileMaker Inc, I believe, uses a Dymo label printer to print guest badges at their security station in Santa Clara...)

To get the record to print in a different location in the "grid", you'd need to include a series of blank records sorted to be in front of the one record you actually want to print. This would be one such blank record for each label position that you want to skip.

Since creating new records just for printing in your current table can be a problem, it's usually better to set up a related table for printing with this relationship:

Operators-----Labels

Opeartors::__pkOperatorID = Labels::_fkOperatorID

You can then set up a script that:

a) creates the needed number of new blank records in Labels to skip over used label positions

b) creates one new record with the current Operator ID in Labels. The relationship allows you to add any fields from Operators to the Labels layout that you need for your labels.

From here, you can print your label and then delete the records from Labels.

While you do not seem to need it here, this method also enables you to print multiple labels for the same record.