8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2010 1:31 PM by LaRetta_1

Dummy question - amend btn txt

HugoLidia

Title

Dummy question - amend btn txt

XP-SP3 Filemaker v11

I have a button, but can't remember where I enter the text for it.  I don't want to overlay a text lable.

Why can't one simply amend the text on a button in the object inspector?

• 1. Re: Dummy question - amend btn txt
          LaRetta_1

If your button already has button or script attached, you need to select your button then click the 't' text tool then click your button once.  The text will open up and allow you to change the text.  And no, I don't think it is documented; but even if it is, it's a regular confusion until you've been shown once. :smileyhappy:

• 2. Re: Dummy question - amend btn txt
            HugoLidia

That only overlays a text box over the button.  My existing button has "Find" text on it, if I select the button and then press "T" from the object inspector it creates a new text box.  I want to amend the existing text. 

• 3. Re: Dummy question - amend btn txt
              raybaudi

Select the T of the text tool, double-click the button and start to write the new label.

• 4. Re: Dummy question - amend btn txt
                LaRetta_1

HugoLidia wrote:

That only overlays a text box over the button.  My existing button has "Find" text on it, if I select the button and then press "T" from the object inspector it creates a new text box.  I want to amend the existing text. 

No it does not - at least not on Windows (and at least on the versions I have ever used).  Selecting the text tool and clicking the button ONCE (as I suggested) opens the text on the button for modification.

Double-clicking the button after selecting the text tool 'selects all' of the button text at once ... that's the only difference.

• 5. Re: Dummy question - amend btn txt
                  HugoLidia

Nope, Double clicking brings up the "button setup"

( when I figure out how to load an image of the problem I will - a picture paints a thousand words.

The proof that the text already on the button is different to the text in the text box lable that is started by clicking on the "T" is that the colour of the existing text is the one selected in the object inspector, while the text in the new text box has to be highlighted and changed to match and ob gourse the original text is not being altered.

• 6. Re: Dummy question - amend btn txt
                    LaRetta_1

"The proof that the text already on the button is different to the text in the text box lable that is started by clicking on the "T" "

What this proves is that you have text on top of the button with transparent background (probably grouped to the button).  Select the button and try to Arrange > Ungroup.  Do it again if it still shows it is grouped.   Now de-select (click onto background of layout where no objects exist).  Then, select button again and drag to one side.  Does it drag only the text off? 

What I told you is correct for changing text on a button - a single click on a button after selecting the text tool DOES allow modification of the button text and I never said to double-click.  Here's how to show it from very beginning:

1)  Create a new button (Insert > Button).  Specify the control as 'Exit Script' (third item under control) so it has a button attached.  Say OK.

2)  Type "test" into the button presented.

3)  Now de-select (click onto desktop where nothing exists) so the button is no longer selected.

4)  Now click the text tool and click ONCE on the button.  You can now change the text.

I think you have been thrown because someone created a blank button and then centered regular text over it.  Prior to vs. 10, many Developers did this because FM did not properly align the text in the middle of the button (vertically).  So when you click the text tool and then click the button, you are modifying the text box on TOP of your button, which FM would alter first because it is the top-most object (last in stacking order).

It would be an easy thing to get tripped up on! :smileyhappy:

• 7. Re: Dummy question - amend btn txt
                      HugoLidia

I appreciate your sticking with this thread, however, your analysis goes wrong on the last step, which is where I started. 

The initial creation is no problem, but I don't want to have to re-create the button each time, when all I want to do is edit the text on the button.

Whenever I click on the "T" text button tool and then click on the button to be amended, as soon as I type anything this is entering into a new text box, over the top of the button and the existing text. 

Maybe I have a corrupted installation.

• 8. Re: Dummy question - amend btn txt
                        LaRetta_1

Di you try ungrouping the button?  Did you create a new button and try what I suggested, step by step?

Can you create an empty clone and upload the file somewhere (such as 4shared) and post a link here?  I have never seen such a thing, even with severely corrupt files.  I would love to see what you are talking about.

BTW:  I was suggesting you create a new button to see that the normal process of changing text on a button works flawlessly as I've suggested.  This is why I think you have a grouped button.